Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd November 2021, 07:36 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I've done this myself Molli, not knowing that I shouldn't (apparently...)
And after reading the full post, I had to google the following questions, which I found interesting...

1. How do you get a bubble out of a thermometer?

Heat the thermometer bulb under hot, running water. Don't heat it too long -- you don't want the mercury or alcohol to rise to the top of the expansion chamber. Once the bubbles are gone, hang the thermometer with the bulb down for several hours.
I think that should be read literally. You don't want the liquid to fill the expansion chamber. The point of the chamber is to spread the liquid out so that the bubble can escape and the liquid rejoin. If the chamber is completely full, this can't happen. AFAIR, the break moves up the column quite quickly, so it shouldn't happen either.

The word 'pharmacist' caught my eye. I wonder if the advice not to finger the bulb relates to medical thermometers that will be placed in the patient's mouth? Would make some sense in that context, but puzzling advice in photography.
Old 3rd November 2021, 09:55 AM
Friend

Always stored my thermometers upright in a coffee jar half full of rice, never had a problem with separation or bubbles.
Old 17th November 2021, 09:11 AM
Friend

Default Mercury Thermometers

I am hanging onto my last mercury thermometer for grim life because I know it is 100% accurate and always will be. (or as the advertising blurb said before I bought it accurate to within +/- .25 of a degree)
They never go out of calibration unless like some that get a bubble of air in the mercury column. (Yes I do store mine vertically that is the only way I can be reasonably sure it remains intact)

This one must be at least 30, possibly even 40 years old and I use it only for film developing which is done in the utility room so there is no problem with seeing the column.

I also have an electronic digital one which is for use in the darkroom and that compares almost exactly with the Mercury one. That is accurate enough for print developing both colour and B&W.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies