Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th November 2021, 02:18 PM
Friend

Default Putting (semi) stand developement to a real test.

Yesterday, I developed a roll of 120 HP5+, that I had taken in one of my Holga's this week.

I have used the stand and semi-stand method before, for both 35mm and 120 films, with the latter being from a Holga again, and in both cases a good set of negatives for printing were produced, when the film was shot under 'average' daylight conditions.

The roll that I took this week differed from previous films, in that I used the 'bulb' setting on the Holga. The camera was mounted on a tripod and I shot the film over a couple of days, in midday time conditions under both hazy sunshine, and a totally overcast sky.

Knowing that the exposures would be quite a bit more, than the usual exposure given by the Holga shutter on the 'N' setting, I thought that I would try 'semi-stand' developing the film, using 6ml of Rodinal in 600ml of water, for an hour, with agitation for the first minute and then again for 30 seconds at the 30 minute mark. Previous films taken in a Holga in various conditions came out fine but this time the negatives are VERY dense. Holding the whole film up to the light when dry, there is definitely detail in the whole of each negative, so it will be interesting to see how well some of them firstly print as a contact sheet, and then as prints.

I'm really just making this post, to show that 'stand' development is not a 'cure all' for a film that has been shot with extreme over exposures, as my dense negatives show. But it was a learning experiment and I'm both curious and excited to see what is able to be produced from them.

So, has anyone else done something similar and is there maybe a better way to develop a film taken like this, so as not to produce such dense negatives? My go developers are home mixed ID11 / D72 or Rodinal at the moment, so I'd prefer to use these if at all possible.

Terry S
Old 25th November 2021, 04:30 PM
Friend

"Holga shutter on the N setting"

Is that a typo. I see N is next to B on the keyboard.
Or is the N setting something new to me?

Not trying to be a prat, just curious.

Cheers.
Old 25th November 2021, 07:51 PM
Friend

Thanks for the info Terry about your previous success with semi-stand and a sort of minimal semi-stand at that. Your method is pretty minimal

Yes, as you say, appreciable overexposure is one of the issues that stand/ semi-stand can't really fix

If the negs aren't precious I wonder how successful a dip in bleach might be?

I might be wrong but I don't think I have ever come across a video of any attempt at this nor even any examples of the "before" and successful or otherwise "after" examples of such negs but I feel sure I have read it can be done

Mike
Old 26th November 2021, 12:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
"Holga shutter on the N setting"

Is that a typo.

Not trying to be a prat, just curious.
Not a typo Nat, the letters stand for 'Normal' and 'Bulb'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Thanks for the info Terry...

Yes, as you say, appreciable overexposure is one of the issues that stand/ semi-stand can't really fix

If the negs aren't precious I wonder how successful a dip in bleach might be?

Mike
No probs Mike!

Yes, BIG overexposure is definitely not so easy with semi / stand development it seems, but as said, there is definitely detail in the negs, so it will interesting to see what comes of them when printed.

As for bleaching back, I have read over the years, of various ways of bleaching back the density on negs, usually with the author talking about cutting a section of negs out of a strip. The negs are not precious, mostly being an experiment in overexposure and stand development. Ideally I would like to find a developer, dilution and time that give me less dense negs exposed like this, but once I have printed some up, I may take a look at my books again and see what I have in my 'medicine cabinet' of chemicals. I'm always up for a chance to try something new and is a bit of a challenge.

I'll keep this thread updated as I go along, and I will probably try another film or two whilst there is this overcast sky about, as I have an idea how I want the pics to look in my minds eye. I will also try some films developed for less time, using stand development again.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies