Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd March 2020, 10:30 AM
Friend

Default RH Designs Instructions Gobbledygook

Well, i have to say that pages 16/17 of the RH Designs StopClock 500 are utter gobbledygook.

If you follow them to the letter then you do not get the intended results. if you go off piste and attempt to interpret the instructions then off you go into more unwanted actions.

I'm talking about the 'burn in plus base' on page 16 and the so called 'dodging with compensate' function on p17.

Put simply utterly useless instructions.

I have to say this is a dead system. The folk at SDS have no clue, the designers are out of the loop and there is zero support apart from the community.

This unit is going back Monday morning and i'm upgrading to Heiland which is system that lives and breathes today with total manufacturer support.

One day dealing with a very badly written instruction booklet costs me the value off the unit itself.

I was worried about this exact issue before i went with RH Designs but took a chance.

That was a mistake.
Old 22nd March 2020, 01:34 PM
Friend

All I can say Simon, being an owner and user of a different RH Designs product, is that yes, the instructions are maybe hard to comprehend upon first reading. But I found that reading the instructions one line at a time and using the product in situ, actually using the product whilst slowly reading the manual, you will soon get a grasp of it's functions.

I have also found this with many computer programmes over the years, including P/shop, with which I tried working my way through a learning manual that came with it. It really was a struggle, and I had to repeatedly read the same text over and over. But, over time I got to know how the product worked and soon learned the bits that were most relevant to me.

So basically I'm saying that it just takes time to get used to the product (any product), as all of the R H design products are really well made to do what they do very well.

As for the mentioned Heiland product, I don't know anything about what you are looking at, but I hope that the product suits your needs.

Happy printing.

Terry S
Old 22nd March 2020, 03:29 PM
Friend

I have to Agree with Terry, I have used a RH designs analyser/pro for many years, and at first the instructions seemed difficult to get through, I spent a lot of time with the analyser and instruction book simply working though the various items, and I also found the RH website very useful, and after a while it became second nature, and from there I have never looked back, Never heard of the Heiland product you are looking for, but if you simply persist and try it would become so easy that you will wonder what yje problem was, as they say, practice practice practice makes perfect
Richard
Old 22nd March 2020, 04:53 PM
Friend

Never used the base/burn function on my Stopclock 500s I never felt the need, however, I have just spent 30 minutes with the instruction manual and the Stopclock switched and have had no problem making it work,as others have said, if you persist you will reap the rewards and save a wheelbarrow load of cash
Old 22nd March 2020, 05:05 PM
Friend

Hi Vanannan,

I've run some more tests alongside a regular RH Designs stopclock. The instructions work to the letter for the standard unit but for my particular 500 version they just don't, either in or out of split mode.

My instructions say Stopclock 500 etc but alas seem to be geared toward the standard unit.

Super frustrating.
Old 22nd March 2020, 05:49 PM
Friend

Default Stop clock

To be honest I would not understand the instructions completely just as they are written either. I think I understand what they mean by base burn but a plain English translation would probably be helpful.

Pretty well much the same as Photoshop as well, the instruction are fragmented in the drop down menu and even then to a new user not always clear. At least with PS you can usually see the result on the screen but with the stop clock timer you may think you have done it right but until the print comes out of the fixer there is always a bit of apprehension.
Old 22nd March 2020, 05:50 PM
Friend

Simon - before you do anything irreversible, it would probably be a good idea to pm RH Designs (a friend on this forum), to ask for advice.
Old 23rd March 2020, 04:51 PM
Friend

Yet an
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies