Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th March 2020, 12:30 PM
Friend

Default Fotospeed LD20

Hi All,

I just got off the blower with Fotospeed having had a rant at them for discontinuing Lith developer LD20.

I was left with the impression that if enough folk bothered them about it then they would have a good look at bringing it back, or at least have a very serious internal discussion about bringing it back.

So, if you'd like to see a comeback for LD20 at least become somewhat possible then let Fotospeed know.

I'm not too sure they really understand how much people want to use it. And on a wider note as a community i think we need to put up a bit of fight to keep things alive whenever we can. Otherwise we're looking down the pipe of working with evermore decreasing tools. LD20 this year, but what gets deemed too much hassle next year and the year after ?!

Same old story you always want something more when it's gone right ?

Story of my life !

Keep safe.

Simon

Last edited by ssharp; 30th March 2020 at 12:41 PM. Reason: More info.
Old 30th March 2020, 02:18 PM
Friend

This is not just about the lith developer it is also about the lack of a decent lith paper/s that will truly lith like the great papers of yesteryear.

I am sure if a great lith paper was to come back so would the lith printers - including me!

I still lith print using a stash of Kodak lith developrer but use papers such Slavich and a dwindling stock of some of the old great lith papers.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 30th March 2020, 02:36 PM
Friend

I don't want to appear to be a dismal Jimmy but I'd have thought that the number of users of LD20 needing to contact Fotospeed to request it back has to be a lot more than we have on FADU.

Let's say that there are 40 of us( just to pluck a figure from the air ) that want it back and would definitely place an order. I cannot see how Fotospeed is likely to have made a decision to discontinue on such a small margin

Did it give any indication as to what the numbers would need to be?

My fear is that this is the kind of thing companies say in a phone conversation to "smooth things " only, hoping that warm noises are enough to keep an existing customer to continue to buy its existing products

Others here may have different opinions as to the number of FADUer's who really want LD20 and the strength of our collective influence with Fotospeed

Mike
Old 30th March 2020, 03:29 PM
Friend

The loss of LD 20 is not the end of the world - just support the Moersch lith products.

https://www.moersch-photochemie.de/content/shop/lith

Moersch EasyLith is well liked and I have seen some good examples, although I've not used it myself.

But you will still need a good lith paper that gives a true infectious devevelopment , and these are hard to find.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 30th March 2020, 05:25 PM
Friend

By my reckoning Moersch is about 5 times more expensive than LD20 when buying LD20 in 5 litres.

That's good enough reason to use LD20 for me.
Old 30th March 2020, 05:30 PM
Friend

Hi Mike,

I have no idea at all what the figure will be but i guess it would be beneficial for anybody who at all would be interested in buying some in to get in touch with them.

It could be 10, 20, 30, 100 or 5 half decent orders to get a run out.

If they did i'd buy enough to last me for as long as i'm around for and be done with it.

Otherwise i'll go with Moersch, but so expensive !
Old 30th March 2020, 06:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssharp View Post
Hi Mike,

I have no idea at all what the figure will be but i guess it would be beneficial for anybody who at all would be interested in buying some in to get in touch with them.

It could be 10, 20, 30, 100 or 5 half decent orders to get a run out.

If they did i'd buy enough to last me for as long as i'm around for and be done with it.

Otherwise i'll go with Moersch, but so expensive !

Keep your fingers crossed that a really good lith paper becomes available soon – that will bring LD20 back I'm sure.

We live in frustating times when it comes to 'alternative processes' and it can be tough going.

I'll send FotoSpeed an email and hope it doesn't end up in their trash bin

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 30th March 2020, 06:53 PM
Friend

Hi Neil,

Yes, Foma is a bit of a star in the lith world on the continent and is totally available and Adox are in the very final throes of the re introduction of Forte Polywarmtone which i think is huge.

Also, i get a lot out of 2nd pass lith on Ilford MGFBWT. In fact, it's what i do the most right now.
Old 30th March 2020, 07:40 PM
Friend

I have read that the new fixed grade foma paper, Retrobrom liths very well, I used to do a lot of lith, but as the great papers went, due to removing Cadmium I have not tried for a few years, but with this lock down ( ours started at 8pm today) I might try abd get hold of some Retro brom and lith developer and give it another go, anything to break the boredom
Richard
Old 30th March 2020, 08:07 PM
Friend

Anyone know when polywarmtone will come a reality
Sorry to hijack the thread, I’m just curious
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies