Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd June 2021, 08:46 PM
Friend

Default Notice of eviction.

I have to comply otherwise the bailiff in the shape of she who must be obeyed has threatened to clear my darkroom out herself. So I am having a full revamp and making it more convenient to work in. To comply with her wishes I am moving from bedroom 2 into bedroom 3 which is shall I say...more compact, but on the upside it is closer to the water supply.

A couple of weeks ago there was a thread about widow blackout material and as this room has smaller windows than my 'old' darkroom the old blackout has been scrapped. I have dispensed with the frame type blackout and used the vinyl sold by Firstcall which needs the glass to be damp before it is applied. I can say it does the job 98%, but I had problems getting the edges completely light tight. I have now used 1" wide strips of black gaffa tape to keep the edges from lifting and now have a perfect light seal. Instead of having to remove the wooden framed blind to get fresh air, I can now open the windows to get air into the room when I am finished the session which is also better. (The radio reception is better at the back of the house too!)

It won't be finished for a couple of days because I have to re-position the power supply and fit extra sockets, so all in all it should be better to work in and family harmony has resumed.

Last edited by John King; 3rd June 2021 at 08:52 PM.
Old 3rd June 2021, 09:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post

A couple of weeks ago there was a thread about widow blackout material
John, that's sounds a bit drastic as she hasn't denied you a darkroom. You just have somewhere smaller.

On a more serious note, being able to open windows at the end of a session is a real bonus given we are entering Summer.

Mike
Old 4th June 2021, 11:26 AM
Friend

Hmmmm... I'm not sure how I would react personally, if given an eviction order for my darkroom.

It's good to hear though, that you have been able to 'take it on the chin' and will continue to have a (smaller / more compact / bijou) darkroom.

Good luck with the move!

Terry S
Old 4th June 2021, 12:00 PM
Friend

I thought there was a government policy in place to stop evictions during the pandemic?

Mike
Old 4th June 2021, 12:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
I thought there was a government policy in place to stop evictions during the pandemic?

Mike
That stopped last Monday.

Actually I have got it almost up and running and there is more space than what it first looked like (especially after I moved the big book case into the other bedroom) I haven't told her yet, I have just closed the door to the room.

I should be able to get my computer in the D/room as well. As compensation! If that fails there is a handy florist a mile away!

Last edited by John King; 4th June 2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 5th June 2021, 12:52 PM
Friend

Default All done the bailiff is satisfied.

Peace again reins in the household. The new darkroom side is on the right as I go into the room and the computer layout is on the left in front of the now opening window.

Whats more there has not been a comment, adverse or otherwise, about the large book case finishing up in the main bedroom. Has she realise you can push your luck so far, or is she just keeping it for the future when she needs a something to niggle about

I will never understand some ladies.
Old 5th June 2021, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Well, with the computer and darkroom setup all in the same room it means you will be "getting under her feet" less often so she is probably counting her blessings .
Old 5th June 2021, 03:12 PM
Friend

Two images one set up for computer use and the second ready to print in the darkroom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Remodelled Darkroom with window open.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	4199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Remodelled darkroom ready for printing B&W or Colour.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	4200  
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies