Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th April 2011, 10:32 PM
Friend

Default All consuming...

Does anybody, or has anybody found their photography has pretty much taken over everything? Sometimes you just want to put the camera down for a while. I know I do.

Steve.

'Thoughts & Scribbles' blog

"You look at a colour image, but read a black & white one"

Flickr
Old 29th April 2011, 11:13 PM
Friend

All the time I have always been like this, but I have never wanted to put the camera down. I think it makes me quite difficult to live with and my wife puts up with a lot, but she did know what she was getting into, and is very supportive with the odd blip.

Neil
Old 30th April 2011, 07:24 AM
Friend

I wish I could say the same. I'm going through a bad patch right now and can't seem to find a reason to pick up a camera.
Old 30th April 2011, 07:31 AM
Friend

A day that I don't use a camera is a day wasted and can make me very grouchy, you ask my wife, and with the weather as it is for the last few days, grey and greyer, I am finding it difficult to get out with a camera.
Richard
Old 30th April 2011, 08:00 AM
Friend

This is not the case for me. Photography is my main hobby but I have other interests and am fortunate to have a full time job that I enjoy (most of the time). I could happily go for a walk with family and friends without taking a camera.

At one time photography was getting to be an obsession and I ended up taking photographs of just about everything. Eventually I realised that many of my photos meant very little to me or anyone else so I started to work on one or two specific projects. Now my photography is more focused and I fret less about having to photograph all of the time. This seems to work for me in my situation.

Les
Old 30th April 2011, 08:01 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_F View Post
Does anybody, or has anybody found their photography has pretty much taken over everything? Sometimes you just want to put the camera down for a while. I know I do.

Steve.
I often feel my photography is more than a passion it's an obssesion. It is what 'illuminates' my 'spirit' I should add, I don't need to always be engaged with the actual taking of photographs, it could be printing or reading/looking at photographic books.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 30th April 2011, 08:23 AM
Friend

If I'm honest with myself it is becoming a bit obsessional. I always take my camera everywhere, always looking at composition, light etc. The fact I work shifts, so does my wife and we have two young children makes things difficult. As much as I want to take photos I have restrictions and in that sense it gets quite stressful that I can't do as I want. So much is a high quality compromise as opposed to complete dedication.

Steve.

Flickr
Old 30th April 2011, 09:03 AM
Friend

Photography could easily take over my life. If all my other needs were taken care of (finances, shopping, cooking, cleaning, relationships,etc), I could do it all the time - if not the activity of taking photos, it would be exploration of photography in the wider sense. I'd love to spend some time on alternative processes, sort a darkroom, try genre I've no experience with, etc.
Old 30th April 2011, 09:16 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sometimes View Post
Photography could easily take over my life. If all my other needs were taken care of (finances, shopping, cooking, cleaning, relationships,etc), I could do it all the time - if not the activity of taking photos, it would be exploration of photography in the wider sense.
That speaks for me too.

Steve.

Flickr
Old 30th April 2011, 11:01 AM
Friend

My obsession has had to take a back seat for a while due to work commitments and this will be the first month in about a year that I haven't signed up for the print exchange. It won't quite be same without the anticipation of that A4 envelope arriving.

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies