Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Books

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th August 2012, 07:03 AM
Friend

Default Photography in Fiction

I was reading Bram Stoker's Dracula last month, actually reading it a second time after a gap of nearly 20 years, and I was hugely delighted to find a reference to photography it contained. Here are the actual words: ".... I could not enter it, as I had not the key of the door leading to it from the house, but I have taken with my Kodak views of it from various points..." These are words of Jonathan Harker explaining to Count Dracula about the house in England that Harker has arranged for the Count when he shifts overseas from his present residence in Transylvania.

This charming reference to photograhy set me thinking, and I kept wondering about the many other places in popular fiction of early times that may contain reference to cameras and photography in general. Probably, detective fiction is one area where one may come across such references. But of one thing we may be certain : we are not likely to find anything more than a passing reference to cameras and photography. It is almost impossibly difficult to find a piece of fiction devoted entirely to photography.

I would love to hear from anyone who can tell me about a tale which features cameras or photography prominently.

As I said, it is difficult to find a piece of fiction where cameras and photography have a considerable role to play. This being so, I decided I would write such a story myself. Yes, myself !! It is a short story titled "A Village Sexton", and is set in the England of the early 1900s. If you are interested in reading it, turn over to my Box Camera site -- and well, happy reading !!

Best wishes,
Ravindra

---------------
http://box-camera.blogspot.com
Old 25th August 2012, 10:47 AM
Friend

I can think of books that they made in to films but other than my photography books,(hee hee) I cannot think of any but films I can there was the bang bang club, full metal jacket, apocalypse now, blow up,there must be more books and films out there. at lest you have got my brain working.
Old 25th August 2012, 12:18 PM
Friend

As Dracula (and vampires in general) do not appear in mirrors, I wonder if they would appear in (or on) photographic film?

nn

Last edited by numnutz; 25th August 2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: fit fungers
Old 25th August 2012, 06:31 PM
Friend

I'm not sure exactly what you're seeking Ravindra, but here's a list I found.
There might be something there that suits....give it time, it's a slow loader.

http://www.lightstalkers.org/posts/m...-photographers

JP
Old 26th August 2012, 07:01 AM
Friend

Default Thanks guys...

Thank you guys for your feedback.Yes , I agree, since vampires are not reflected in mirrors, it would be difficult to capture them on films !!! However, what I was looking for was a piece of fiction, novel or short story where photography has a significant role to play. I doubt if there exists any such work.
Regards,
Ravindra
Old 26th August 2012, 09:05 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by numnutz View Post
As Dracula (and vampires in general) do not appear in mirrors, I wonder if they would appear in (or on) photographic film?

nn
Think about it seeing that most of the pictures take are of reflected light.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 26th August 2012, 09:13 AM
Friend

Hi Ravindra

Not sure about historical fiction, but as an avid reader I have over the years come across a few books where photography or photographers have been prominent. Cannot remember most of them, but two that are still on my shelves.

Caught in the light by Robert Goddard where the main character is a photographer, so there are quite a few references

The big Picture by Douglas Kennedy about a man who becomes a photographer

Not classics by any means, but readable fiction

Last edited by Ian Marsh; 26th August 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 27th August 2012, 04:48 AM
Friend

Default Thanks.

Thanks Ian, I would love to read these books you mention.
Regards,
Ravindra
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies