Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Meetings

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th February 2015, 08:03 AM
Friend

The only way I've been able to continue my own photography there with annual visits is to share the costs of diesel, ferry and self-catering with other like-minded photographers. I admit that this arrangement may not be practical for some (after mapping out where everyone who wants to travel lives, etc).
Old 19th February 2015, 10:43 AM
Friend

Inverness is quite easily accessible by car, train or, I believe, flying. It's potentially quite a good venue for photography including Loch Ness, Glen Affric and Ffordes in Beauly 😀. The town itself is nice with a variety of accommodation and eating places. Another good option, already mentioned, is Arran. Easily accessible by car or train. Return car fare on ferry down to less than £30 apparently. Plenty to photograph. There's also a good bus service on the island if we need it.
Alex.
Old 19th February 2015, 10:59 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaunchK View Post
The only way I've been able to continue my own photography there with annual visits is to share the costs of diesel, ferry and self-catering with other like-minded photographers. I admit that this arrangement may not be practical for some (after mapping out where everyone who wants to travel lives, etc).

These are good points.

Maybe a way forward to max attendance would be to choose a location with good travel links, varied accommodation types and photographic potential nearby.

Anyone interested in joining in could then sort out their own travel and accommodation arrangements to suit their circumstances. Initially FADU could be used to get in touch with others who would like to travel together to share costs, or for the company.

Similarly a few post on FADU may well put you in touch with some like minded who would welcome the opportunity to share a holiday let to keep the accommodation costs down.

All this can all be done on FADU

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 22nd February 2015, 10:33 AM
Friend

To keep this thread alive I might add that, on a previous visit to the Isle of Lewis with family, I have travelled up to Ullapool using more than one car but then left the second car parked in Ullapool for the duration. The local police seemed very happy to help and keep an eye. Perversely, my trip this May has to be via Skye (Uig-to-Tarbert) because the new Ullapool-to-Stornoway ferry is not carrying vehicles that month while new linkspan works are completed. Pure economics will never favour a meet on the Western Isles but the allure of that very special land and coastalscape remains tempting.
Old 22nd February 2015, 01:24 PM
Friend

I really like the idea of revisiting the outer Hebrides but it's not really practical for just a long weekend (I can do Fri to Mon at the most) so somewhere more central and accessible by public transport would be a bonus.
Old 22nd February 2015, 11:21 PM
Friend

I might be interested in this too, though with some hols already planned and planning an exhibition, budget is gonna be tight. Being in Edinburgh I'd favor Arran, plus always wanted to go there.

Hope to be hearing more on this!

Ivan
Old 23rd February 2015, 07:39 PM
Friend

Not forgotten, still cooking . . .
Old 25th February 2015, 10:13 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
I really like the idea of revisiting the outer Hebrides but it's not really practical for just a long weekend (I can do Fri to Mon at the most) so somewhere more central and accessible by public transport would be a bonus.
Rob makes a good point

We need to keep the distances people need to travel sensible - which probably means we will need to keep it on the mainland

Martin
Old 26th February 2015, 08:41 AM
Friend

Considering the huge and fragmented geography, to attempt to gather everyone into a single meeting is bound to disadvantage those who find themselves distant from the venue chosen so the answer may be to look at holding two or three meetings, at different locations, but under the same banner.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies