Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th October 2019, 04:36 PM
Banned

Default Film watermarks

Can someone now remind me please the best way now to remove water marks from finished negs

Thanks

I used to just use a soft cloth
Old 17th October 2019, 04:54 PM
Friend

A soft cloth might be OK but if they have dried and hardened on the film, I'd be inclined to dip it into wetting agent for a minute or so then run your two middle fingers down the film to see if this has removed the marks. Then shake the film and if possible put into a drying cabinet or hang in a dust free area until completely dry

Mike
Old 17th October 2019, 05:05 PM
Friend

Like Mike, if the film has dried then the best way is to re soak the film in dilute wetting agent for around 30 seconds, then hang them up again, for 35mm film I find that a wipe with folded kitchen towel on the back (Shiny side) of the film helps them to dry clean, whatever you do do not use film squgee, just folded up towel on the shiny side, for MF film then just a shake after the wetting agent and hang them up works fine
Richard
Old 17th October 2019, 05:23 PM
Friend

I have found that when water drying marks form it is next to impossible to get them off afterward. Depending on where you live, generally the harder the water the more risk you face.

I am lucky in that where I live, only very rarely do I get any, but in most cases a 1 minute rinse in distilled water to which has been added wetting agent (I use Kodak Photoflo) will generally prevent them forming.

After the final rinse in the wetting agent I shake the film spiral before the film is removed.
Old 17th October 2019, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
A soft cloth might be OK but if they have dried and hardened on the film, I'd be inclined to dip it into wetting agent for a minute or so then run your two middle fingers down the film to see if this has removed the marks. Then shake the film and if possible put into a drying cabinet or hang in a dust free area until completely dry

Mike
Did that as 40 years ago but MUST get wetting agent, thanks all
Old 17th October 2019, 06:13 PM
Banned

Here is the first of the samples

1. 6 from 40 have scratches ??? loading for processing, BUT more than likely handling after when when heavy handed ???

ALL the exposures were guesses as I had left the meter behind
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image3.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	444.6 KB
ID:	3385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image4.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	451.3 KB
ID:	3386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image5.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	3387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image6.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	3388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image7.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	469.7 KB
ID:	3389  

Old 20th October 2019, 03:07 PM
Friend

The link to this post is not for those of a nervous disposition the clams made may make your negatives run for cover you have been warned of course that is amusing your interested

Water marks.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 20th October 2019, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Like Mike, if the film has dried then the best way is to re soak the film in dilute wetting agent for around 30 seconds, then hang them up again, for 35mm film I find that a wipe with folded kitchen towel on the back (Shiny side) of the film helps them to dry clean, whatever you do do not use film squgee, just folded up towel on the shiny side, for MF film then just a shake after the wetting agent and hang them up works fine
Richard
I always used a squeegee years ago, you were told to remember to wash well in clean water before use
Old 20th October 2019, 06:39 PM
Friend

A squeegee is the death knell for wet negatives. The rubber blades are much harder than wet emulsion and that is what causes the scratches, not grit. The 'grit' of course may not be on the squeegee blades but picked up when loading the film and then sticks to the surface

Natural drying after the final rinse and vigorous reel shaking before the film is removed as I described earlier.

I did know someone who used a well soaked 'J' cloth section (about 1/16th of a full cloth folded over) which was squeezed out as much as possible and used once and thrown away. He did have a degree of success that way.
Old 20th October 2019, 08:02 PM
Administrator

I used to use a squeegee. Wash it in hot water before use - that both cleans it and softens the rubber.

I never had an issue, but I did feel a twinge every time I used it so I leave it in the drawer now...

I hang film in the bathroom after running a hot shower for a bit to get lots of steam to drop some of the dust (not sure exactly how effective that is, but worth trying). Close the door and go back when dry. If sharing a bathroom, ban others from using it for an hour (good luck with that ).
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies