Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

  ***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10th May 2020, 11:34 AM
paddy's Avatar
paddy paddy is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 346
Default Nikon FA anyone

Just bought a Nikon FA off a Japanese ebayer, the camera looks really nice
I bought this for slide film duties as the matrix metering is supposed to be good, I have an fm3 and fm2 still
Anyone got one and what do you think
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10th May 2020, 01:15 PM
John King John King is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: County Durham
Posts: 2,165
Default Nikon FA

I used one a long time ago. It was on loan so I didn't really get into it. The matrix metering 'seemed' to work, I could not see a lot of difference between that and the centre weighted. It was so I felt at the time it was a good camera.

Possibly sidelined by the FE2 at the time because it was a bit cheaper and apart from the matrix metering there was little difference. FA models in good nick are hard to come by
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10th May 2020, 02:01 PM
paddy's Avatar
paddy paddy is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I used one a long time ago. It was on loan so I didn't really get into it. The matrix metering 'seemed' to work, I could not see a lot of difference between that and the centre weighted. It was so I felt at the time it was a good camera.

Possibly sidelined by the FE2 at the time because it was a bit cheaper and apart from the matrix metering there was little difference. FA models in good nick are hard to come by
I only bought it because my old FE2 shutter is sticky and the mirror locks up and wont return, shame really so it looks like a scrapper now
Im going to pinch the dioptre and leather strap off it for the FA
I dont know why the japs sell cameras with no dioptre ??
There seems to be little love for these cameras hence me getting it for a good price, i still have my FM3A and FM2 so no worries
It seems on paper it was more advanced than the FE2 and F3 ??
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10th May 2020, 02:08 PM
Brock's Avatar
Brock Brock is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St Andrews
Posts: 664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
I only bought it because my old FE2 shutter is sticky and the mirror locks up and wont return, shame really so it looks like a scrapper now

Im going to pinch the dioptre and leather strap off it for the FA

I dont know why the japs sell cameras with no dioptre ??

There seems to be little love for these cameras hence me getting it for a good price, i still have my FM3A and FM2 so no worries

It seems on paper it was more advanced than the FE2 and F3 ??


If the FA isn’t to your taste, I can recommend the F90X. They’re cheap, very reliable and have an excellent matrix meter as well as spot metering (with the right lenses).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
The Online Darkroom
www.theonlinedarkroom.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10th May 2020, 02:54 PM
mpirie mpirie is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Highlands of Scotland
Posts: 325
Default

+1 I didn't really gel with my FA and found the F90x much more capable.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10th May 2020, 02:57 PM
John King John King is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: County Durham
Posts: 2,165
Default Right lenses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
If the FA isn’t to your taste, I can recommend the F90X. They’re cheap, very reliable and have an excellent matrix meter as well as spot metering (with the right lenses).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What do mean when you say 'right lenses'. All the AF lenses will work with spot metering apart from the later ones - I think they are the 'G' type lenses.

I have never had a problem with an F90 or the F90X or even the earlier F801/601 I still have a 601 and it gets taken out once in a while.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10th May 2020, 03:02 PM
paddy's Avatar
paddy paddy is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
If the FA isn’t to your taste, I can recommend the F90X. They’re cheap, very reliable and have an excellent matrix meter as well as spot metering (with the right lenses).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi
I only use nikon manual focus prime lens, see how i go with the FA

Last edited by paddy; 10th May 2020 at 03:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10th May 2020, 03:05 PM
B&W Neil's Avatar
B&W Neil B&W Neil is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: West Cornwall
Posts: 4,019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
Just bought a Nikon FA off a Japanese ebayer, the camera looks really nice
I bought this for slide film duties as the matrix metering is supposed to be good, I have an fm3 and fm2 still
Anyone got one and what do you think

I used an FA a few years ago when I was with Nikon for 35mm and I loved it - should have kept it really but I needed the funds for the next idea

I used the matrix meetering (as well as the other metering options) and found it to be excellent and I'm sure you will get good slides by using it.

IRC it was the first 'matrix' metering system that had a database of 'lighting situations' programmed in. I used it when I had to work fast, or in bad weather etc and found it to be spot-on.

Enjoy :-)

Neil.
__________________
"The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance." Aristotle

Neil Souch - www.mono-inthedark.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10th May 2020, 03:10 PM
paddy's Avatar
paddy paddy is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
I used an FA a few years ago when I was with Nikon for 35mm and I loved it - should have kept it really but I needed the funds for the next idea

I used the matrix meetering (as well as the other metering options) and found it to be excellent and I'm sure you will get good slides by using it.

IRC it was the first 'matrix' metering system that had a database of 'lighting situations' programmed in. I used it when I had to work fast, or in bad weather etc and found it to be spot-on.

Enjoy :-)

Neil.
Thanks Neil
I imagine i wont have a problem liking the FA, its a Nikon after all
As long as the batteries are ok i wont have a problem
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10th May 2020, 03:38 PM
Mike O'Pray Mike O'Pray is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Daventry, Northants
Posts: 7,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
Just bought a Nikon FA off a Japanese ebayer, the camera looks really nice
paddy, I hope this question is considered relevant by the mods. Can you say when you actually bought this camera?. I ask because today on Photrio there is a thread warning about serious postal delays from Japan to the U.S. but is this is an issue only there, or has it affected Japan to U.K.?

Your reply may help anyone else here thinking of buying from Japanese e-bayers in the next few days /weeks

Certainly these days for instance anyone thinking of Pentax MF purchases may have to consider Japanese sellers who do have a good reputation generally

Thanks

Mike
Reply With Quote
Reply
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon AI/AIs 25-50 f4 and 28-85 f3.5-4.5 MikeS Cameras - small format 3 31st December 2012 12:34 PM
Nikon F3 with MD-4 ShaunH Cameras - small format 19 2nd March 2012 01:24 PM
FS: Nikon EM S Raff Sale or Wanted 3 6th October 2011 03:43 PM
Nikon PB5 Bellows Unit + Nikon PS5 Slide Copying Adaptor kennethcooke Cameras - small format 0 13th August 2011 08:59 PM
Nikon F2. Daud Cameras - small format 2 23rd September 2009 11:11 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.