Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd August 2020, 10:03 AM
Friend

Default Dolce Vita Africana and On Camera - Photographers at the BBCpas

Browsing through the Radio Times I spotted 2 programmes tonight on BBC4 that may be of interest. The first at 10:55pm is about a Malian photographer's images of his country from the 1950s to 1970s and the second one is about photographers that became famous such as Jane Bown, Eve Arnold etc This follows the first programme and starts at 11:55pm

So that's tonight Sunday 23 August at 10:55 and 11:55pm

Both are repeats but although I have a vague recollection of Photographers at the BBC I cannot recall ever seeing the one about the Malian photograph, called Malik Sidibe

Mike
Old 23rd August 2020, 11:04 AM
Friend

There are actually THREE programmes tonight, all running together.

The one omitted is at 12.55am and is titled, 'Britain in Focus: A Photographic History.' I can tell you no more about it as my tv magazine gives no further details.

Well, that's my breakfast tv sorted for a few days.

Terry S
Old 23rd August 2020, 04:22 PM
Friend

The programme details from the BBC:

Dolce Vita Africana
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00936cb

On Camera: Photographers at the BBC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08jgr3w

These are the only two listed for tomorrow morning.
Old 23rd August 2020, 04:55 PM
Friend

Here's a link to Britain in focus.
Old 23rd August 2020, 08:17 PM
Friend

I have just looked at my programme guide on my HDD as that is what I use for recording and note that what the Radio Times says and what the guide says are now different

For reasons I have yet to discover BBC Four appears to have decided that "Photographers at the BBC " is not to be shown Instead there are back to back programmes on India's wildlife so that puts "Dolce Vita on an hour later and omits "Photographers at the BBC.
Britain in Focus remains as it was at 12:55am on Monday morning

Frankly I have seen quite a number of these kind of instances since the "lockdown". The moral is that it pays to check the programme guide which I did not do.

This is now getting ridiculous . According to the BBC schedule on the internet so presumably up to date it is Britain in Focus that is omitted and Photographers at the BBC that has taken the place of Britain in Focus and yet my Programme Guide as of about 10 mins ago still shows the schedule as Britain in Focus

Mike
Old 24th August 2020, 11:49 AM
Friend

Well, I watched 'Photographers at the BBC' over breakfast this morning and it was an overview of BBC photography programmes from over the decades, with mostly well known photographers. Trying to fit a lot in though, meant each person was only given a little air time, although I enjoyed watching it.

I then watched the start of 'Dolce Vita Africana', which shows a different angle to our usual UK photography and I look forward to watching the rest later on.

'Britain in Focus' regretfully was not shown, although the wildlife programme set in India that replaced it looks like an interesting watch. Hopefully the programme not shown will be rescheduled.

Luckily for me, my BT recorder takes into account changes of times in the schedule, so it managed to record all the programmes I set up. It's great when compared to older recorders, which didn't do this and I often ended up with only parts of programmes or different ones altogether.

It's good to see a few photography programmes though, as they are not shown very often.

Terry S
Old 24th August 2020, 01:24 PM
Friend

I get my signal from terrestrial and up until the programme was due to go out my Programme Guide on my HDD showed Britain in Focus whereas on the main TV in our lounge we get a satellite signal and that TV's Programme Guide showed the correct programme which was Photographers at the BBC

I got my HDD from a fellow Scot called John Logie something. May be it's time I changed it for something more modern

Mike
Old 25th August 2020, 10:21 AM
Friend

I eventually got around to watching the programme last night but it seemed much less about photography than about a group of now elderly men of whom Malik had taken pic when in their teens and 20 but who had remain friends ever since

He seemed to have stuck with b&w and his quite primitive studio and darkroom. He was the true one man band and I I'd have thought that for a "western" audience the fact that it was still film and paper, old cameras etc might have been worth a mention to viewers many of whom must have been tempted to ask why not digital or even the ubiquitous i-phone for photos Interestingly even on the occasion of seeing the "younger element " which was rare I never even saw or heard of a hint of mobile phones or iPhones - not even from one of his mates who seemed to have risen to quite a high powered job in the Malian utilities market

Yes we do have an interest in analogue that is way in excess of that of the general public but I am sure there was more to be made of his "frozen in time " photography than was done

It was OK as a story but I am not sure it met the definition of being about a photographer.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies