Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Contact printing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th August 2011, 11:27 AM
Friend

Thanks All for the replies - I had forgotten to subscribe to the thread, so didn't know there had been any. I'd love to support Lotus, but perhaps when I am more flush - kids get the first refusal when I open my wallet, and usually leave me dry :-). A plus is that I do have access to a full woodwork shop at work, so may look at making my own at some point. Paddy I took a look at Fotospeed, and the price is great, but no picture - possible for you to take a few and post them?

Many Thanks,
Matthew.
Old 8th August 2011, 05:14 PM
Friend

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35mm-film-...item27bd366cc4
Remove the metal pieces......
Old 8th August 2011, 06:46 PM
Friend

What size do you need?
Old 9th August 2011, 04:48 PM
Friend

Thanks again all,

to clarify am looking to contact 8x10, but may want to print on larger paper. Fotospeed have sent me a pic. of theirs, and it looks great for the price, so will prob invest in one at some point soon.
Old 9th August 2011, 05:45 PM
Friend

The requirement for a contact printing frame is obviously to maintain very close contact between negative and printing paper. This requires thick plate glass and substantial pressure and even pressure on the back plate, hence the rapid increase in price as the size is increased, especially beyond the popular 10x8 size. So beware of converted picture frames.
Old 10th August 2011, 06:16 PM
Friend

The problem with the Fotospeed one is that it only has little twiddly bits around the edges so no pressure in the middle of the frame, doesn't it? Unless they've changed this since the last time I looked into them.

I don't think any of my smaller frames have particularly thick plate glass. My small frames are all antiques. I use one big enough for my 4x5 negative to figure out exposure time under the UV light and then I can use that time and a paterson contact printing frame to transfer to 8x10 paper. One day I might try to make my own 8x10 (or a bit larger) frame but those flat springs are always awkward, as is the routering to hold the glass in place.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies