Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Toning

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th October 2013, 03:30 PM
Friend

Question Ansco251 Green Toner

Hi there, I have been experimenting,with the toner ansco251 green-toner.The formula is in the Tim Rudman's book of Toning.I'm very pleased with blue colour,but when I put the blue print in the sepia formula I get a very dark sepia colour,instead of a green colour.The paper i'm using are mulitigrade warm-tone and kentmere oyster.I'll very greatful for any advice! Many thanks Tony.
Old 12th October 2013, 04:22 PM
Friend

Tony, I don't know if this will be of any help, but if you are using RC paper for your toning then the Multigrade paper is not so good, the Kentmere paper is my choice, I use VC Select fine lustre, which I assume is the paper you mean, If I am going to duo tone or split tone, which is what I again assume is what you are trying to do, I always partial sepia tone first bleach in more dilute bleach than suggested, if the suggested dilution is 1.9 then I would double that dilution, 1/19. I do the same with the toner, dilute at 1/19. I partialy bleach the print, until the highlights start to go, wash until the yellow is gone, then tone until the highlights are back, then wash, and tone in my chosen second toner, normally blue,until the paper won't tone any more, wash and dry the paper. I find that the Kentmere paper in fine lustre to be the best RC paper for toning, The Fotospeed RCVC paper is very close, but the Kentmere paper just edges it.
Richard
Old 15th October 2013, 04:52 PM
Friend

Wink Thank you

Hi Richard,thank you for your advice,i guess I just need to experiment! Kind Regards Tony.
Old 15th October 2013, 08:09 PM
Friend

Tony to Mike: "I am having trouble getting from A to B"

Mike to Tony: " Well if I were you I wouldn't start from A"

Seriously though it appears that Tim himself hadn't had any experience with the Ansco toner and seems to have relatively little to say about it. It may not be an easy one to use

I had a look at Tony Worobiec's book and he seems to favour the palette toners such as Fotospeed Palette and Tetenal Multitoner Kit

He gives various examples of different combos involving vanadium and titanium, all of which look good and easy to use and get good results based on his instructions.

Just a thought if and when you decide that Ansco toner may not be the easiest to use

The book is called "Toning and Handcolouring" and is a worthwhile supplement to Tim's Book

Best of luck

Mike
Old 17th October 2013, 05:01 PM
Friend

Wink Thank-you

Cheers for advice,and yes I do have the book by Tony Worobiec Toning and Hand Colouring,and it's a very good book too! Many Thanks Tony.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies