Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Filters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th October 2015, 10:54 AM
Friend

Default Darkroom lighting

You simply cannot get enough (safe) lighting in a darkroom. I booted red lights into touch a long time ago and use my DUKA colour safelight. Normlly set at 5% output for colour work but at full output for B&W. I have never had a fogged sheet of paper with the DUKA. It is so bright that 5' from the reflected light on the ceiling, I can see to read a newspaper.

Yes, they are expensive even 2nd hand, but well worth it. (Process supplies still have them and spare bulbs new)
Old 6th October 2015, 11:37 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
You simply cannot get enough (safe) lighting in a darkroom. I booted red lights into touch a long time ago and use my DUKA colour safelight. Normlly set at 5% output for colour work but at full output for B&W. I have never had a fogged sheet of paper with the DUKA. It is so bright that 5' from the reflected light on the ceiling, I can see to read a newspaper.

Yes, they are expensive even 2nd hand, but well worth it. (Process supplies still have them and spare bulbs new)

I also use a Duka and find it very effective for B&W. You have to let it warm up for a few minutes before is safe. I have never noticed any fogging, although I keep planning to dos test, but never get round to it.
Alex
Old 6th October 2015, 02:16 PM
Friend

Talking of using a DUKA for B&W do you find you need the red or reddish looking filter that sometimes comes with the DUKA for B&W.

I say "sometimes" as these aren't always available when buying secondhand DUKA. I haven't got one but I am hoping that Alex and John find that the DUKA is safe without this red filter.

Is it safe for B&W without any additional filter placed on the built-in white cover?

Thanks

Mike
Old 6th October 2015, 02:59 PM
Friend

Hi Mike. I have, but don't use the red
filter. Safe lights for variable contrast paper tend to be brown, rather than the red type which seem to be for graded papers. I just use the unfiltered Duka with the output turned down. It has never caused a problem. I have bought two used Dukas and both came with the red filter.
Alex
Old 6th October 2015, 04:08 PM
Friend

Try these:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more.../attributes/13

Cannot guarantee for any and all papers, but they have tested "safe" for Ilford Multigrade in my darkroom.

Rubylith would be your best bet for filter material.

Or, a proper safelight filter.
Old 6th October 2015, 04:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Wouldn't red LEDs give out a very narrow spectrum of light compared to an incandescent bulb?... So in theory at least you could probably get away with relatively bright LED illumination with no danger of fogging paper?
Yes, but most suppliers only give vague information about the spectral emission of packaged LEDs. A thread on APUG a couple of years ago, which warned of slight emission of green in some types, recommended wrapping a screw-in red LED assembly in Rubylith, just to make sure. Good advice.
Old 6th October 2015, 05:03 PM
Friend

Default DUKA Safelight

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
Hi Mike. I have, but don't use the red
filter. Safe lights for variable contrast paper tend to be brown, rather than the red type which seem to be for graded papers. I just use the unfiltered Duka with the output turned down. It has never caused a problem. I have bought two used Dukas and both came with the red filter.
Alex
Likewise, and never had a fogging problem.
Old 7th October 2015, 12:05 AM
Friend

Thanks, John and Alex for the DUKA information

Mike
Old 7th October 2015, 08:37 AM
Friend

MARL, a lighting company, is offering a 24V DC red LED safelight, part no 020 904 22 89 red but the photo on EBAY shows the supply cord terminated in red and black banana plugs - no dedicated power supply!
The price is a bit steep - £59 plus £15 postage. I would expect MARL to have done their homework and select safe LEDs.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies