Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th September 2010, 11:30 AM
Friend

Default Camera bag for 4x5 field camera.

If anyone is looking for an easy to carry and use camera bag for a 4x5 field camera, I would recommend one of these

I recently bought mine from Amazon and used it last week for the first time in the field and for me it's worth its weight in gold. So easy and comfortable to carry. I was able to retrieve my Ebony SW45 from the bag without having to take the bag off my shoulder. Great if you're working in wet/dirty locations.

The bag is big enough for me to carry camera + lens attached + another lens, light meter, cleaning kit and up to 10 DDS in their pouches. There are pocket spaces for note-book, pen, cable releases, etc.

There is a very welcome rain cover tucked in the base of the bag.

All in all a well designed camera bag that is not over big - well done and thank you Lowepro
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 6th September 2010, 12:09 PM
Friend

That looks a lot more convenient than my Lowepro Dryzone, access looks easy, the Dryzone is very restricted by the waterproof second zipper cover, making retrieving accessories and other lenses difficult. And although the Dryzone will float in water and be totally waterproof, I have yet to have need of this feature.

Neil
Old 6th September 2010, 01:08 PM
Friend

I have been using a Slingshot for about 12 months now and I agree with Trevor they are an excellent bag. Mine is packed with my Mamiya 7 equipment and it also will carry the Xpan and a Nikon FM + a couple of lenses. Very strongly made and easy to walk with. But the big bonus is being able to get your camera out without taking the bag off your back. On the Lowepro site there used to be a video demonstration of how they are used.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 6th September 2010, 09:11 PM
Friend

Does carrying all that weight on one shoulder not supremely get on your wick though? I know I'm glad my mini trekker has got 2 shoulder straps.
Old 6th September 2010, 09:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Does carrying all that weight on one shoulder not supremely get on your wick though? I know I'm glad my mini trekker has got 2 shoulder straps.

Not at all - the strap is very wide and doesn't just hang from one shoulder. I also use a Lowepro Nature Trekker two strap job for when I take more equipment out. Essentially the Slingshot is for when you are travelling on the light side - but having said that they are so well designed you can still pack a fair amount in them.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 7th September 2010, 06:59 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Dave, as Neil says the strap is quite wide and the bag is designed to go across the back and not just on one shoulder. The bag also has a well designed and comfortable waist strap for when walking any distance with a decent load.

Although I mentioned it will hold an extra lens and up to 10 4x5 DDS, to date I have only used it in the field with just carrying 5 DDS and one lens on camera. The kit was very comfortable and easy to carry and I didn't even use the waist belt.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 7th September 2010, 07:51 AM
Friend

Trevor, I only use the waist strap when on a longish walk between locations. I use the facility of getting the camera out without taking the pack off your back quite a lot as I am often on beaches or on wet muddy ground. Looking back from my notes I see I used to go up Cwmorthin last time I was there ( 3 times!). It was packed with two Nikon FM 2s + three Nikon lenses, my XPAN, spare batteries, films, filters, hoods, light meter, gloves and a hat!

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 7th September 2010, 08:13 AM
Friend

Absolutely Neil, that is what attracted me to this bag - getting the camera out without having to put the bag down when working in such locations as wet and sandy beaches.

Sadly it wont take my Ebony 8x10

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 7th September 2010, 09:35 AM
Friend

I am fortunate enough to live only 5 mins away from Burnham Beeches and am often found up there with my head under a darkcloth. Taking a rucksack with me is something I only do in the Autumn and Winter months though as during the Summer the wood ants are everywhere! You pop a bag down for a few seconds and they're in... one once found its way into the bellows of my 5x4! and they bite! Mmmm might be worth looking at one of these Slingshots

Arena Photographers
Old 7th September 2010, 10:28 AM
Friend

Trevor, I have not tried it with my 4x5 as that is in one of my old Billiinghams but I have no doubt the Slingshot iwould accommodate it along with my meter and dark slides etc. I have been most impressed how the Slingshot can be arranged inside.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies