Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd May 2013, 03:50 PM
Friend

Default LF developing and contact printing

I'm about to move up to 4x5 LF. The camera was the easy part. What puzzles me is what kind of printing frame should I get for contacts. I intend to contact 4x5 on 8x10 paper, leaving wide borders. The other thing I'm not certain yet is how should I develop film. Is anyone familiar with the sheetfilm reel UNI 2509n from JOBO?

Thanks!
Old 23rd May 2013, 04:21 PM
Friend

So you are hooked, too...
Jobo 2509 tank/reel is pretty straightforward, I think Tim Parkin has some nice video on youtube about loading the film etc - check that out. Anyway, I think better option would be MOD54 holder in Paterson 3-reel tank. Check that out as well if you don't already own the Jobo.

As for printing - a sheet of glass is all what you need, no need for fancy frames - in my eyes contact printing frames begin to be useful once you start doing alternative prints where you need to check the latent image during exprosure. For contact prining on regular silver gelatin papers just stick with the sheet of glass.
Old 23rd May 2013, 04:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreios View Post
So you are hooked, too...
Very much so!

Quote:
Jobo 2509 tank/reel is pretty straightforward, I think Tim Parkin has some nice video on youtube about loading the film etc - check that out. Anyway, I think better option would be MOD54 holder in Paterson 3-reel tank. Check that out as well if you don't already own the Jobo.
Why do you think the MOD would be better?

Quote:
As for printing - a sheet of glass is all what you need, no need for fancy frames - in my eyes contact printing frames begin to be useful once you start doing alternative prints where you need to check the latent image during exprosure. For contact prining on regular silver gelatin papers just stick with the sheet of glass.
Since contact printing wil be the only way of making photos from 4x5 in my case, I feel I need a printing frame. I did print 35mm using glass only but fint it too awkward.
Old 23rd May 2013, 04:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
Very much so!

Why do you think the MOD would be better?

Since contact printing wil be the only way of making photos from 4x5 in my case, I feel I need a printing frame. I did print 35mm using glass only but fint it too awkward.
I would try the Taco method in a Paterson Universal Tank if you have one (don't forget to use the centre column) it does squeeze them a little but does not seem to do any permanent damage, personally my favourite method before buying my Jobo Expert drums was using a Paterson Orbital printer without the base and doing a semi-stand process (with 400ml of chemicals) use a slight rocking motion for the agitation.

As for the contact prints and a sheet of glass, the 4x5 negatives are much flatter and not so much trouble as a strip of 35mm or 120, but I still use a Paterson Pro Proofer myself.
Old 23rd May 2013, 05:05 PM
Friend

Why MOD? Bit easier, less risk of scratching the emulsion, IIRC the tank would use smaller amount of chemicals (that is if you don't put the Jobo in the rotary processor).

Really, don't worry about the frame for 4x5's. You really don't need a fancy one, a simple "clip" frame from IKEA is perfectly OK. Or look on ebay for a vintage one. Or DIY one.
Old 23rd May 2013, 05:13 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBray View Post
As for the contact prints and a sheet of glass, the 4x5 negatives are much flatter and not so much trouble as a strip of 35mm or 120, but I still use a Paterson Pro Proofer myself.
I was thinking of geting the Paterson myself.
Old 23rd May 2013, 05:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreios View Post
Why MOD? Bit easier, less risk of scratching the emulsion, IIRC the tank would use smaller amount of chemicals (that is if you don't put the Jobo in the rotary processor).
Have you tried them both? I really need to decide between the two.
Old 23rd May 2013, 05:22 PM
Friend

Hi Miha. To centre the image in the middle of a 10 x 8 sheet of paper you might try the following method . You will need a sheet of half inch thick plywood or M.D.F. and a sheet of 2mm thick picture glass . These should be cut to 10 x 8 inches and have all sharp edges and corners removed. You will also need a 10 x 8 shet of thin card that is impervious to light, slightly thicker than your negative. Cut a window in the middle of this just big enough to take the negative.
In use you place the photographic paper on top of the MDF, the black card on top of the paper, with the negative in place. And the glass on top of this. Your fingers around the edges of the MDF will enable you to line everything up.

Alan
Old 23rd May 2013, 05:45 PM
Friend

Great tip Alan! Now I need to find out how cut the window properly...
Old 23rd May 2013, 06:01 PM
Friend

For processing, I've also gone the Jobo 3010 expert drum root used on a motor base.

For printing contact sheets I've always used a sheet of plain glass as I use print through neg files.

I've seen wooden "vintage" contact printing frames for contact printing negatives but I thought I'd give one of these a try, like new for just eur15!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hama-proof-printer.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1756  

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies