Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th February 2020, 10:59 PM
Friend

Default paterson acuspeed recipe?

hi guys and girls,

i am reading through "the hamlyn basic guide to darkroom techniques" and in the character on speed increasing developers they spoke about microphen and patersons acuspeed. microphen increases a 400asa film to 650asa and acuspeed 1250asa!!!!

I searched the internet for a recipe but no luck. Anyone have a any info of the formula?
Old 29th February 2020, 12:45 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstar View Post
hi guys and girls,

i am reading through "the hamlyn basic guide to darkroom techniques" and in the character on speed increasing developers they spoke about microphen and patersons acuspeed. microphen increases a 400asa film to 650asa and acuspeed 1250asa!!!!

I searched the internet for a recipe but no luck. Anyone have a any info of the formula?
If you find the recipe that genuinely increases a 400 film to 1250 then patent it immediately and hold Ilford and the resurgent Kodak to ransom over parting with your patent

Did Paterson ever claim a stop and a half for its developer?

Maybe Ian Grant will pitch in here. His knowledge of such matters is pretty extensive

Mike
Old 29th February 2020, 02:45 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
If you find the recipe that genuinely increases a 400 film to 1250 then patent it immediately and hold Ilford and the resurgent Kodak to ransom over parting with your patent

Did Paterson ever claim a stop and a half for its developer?

Maybe Ian Grant will pitch in here. His knowledge of such matters is pretty extensive

Mike
loooool

i read the stated info and was shocked. it stated that microphen gives a 2/3 stop increase which is confirmed by ilford so i assumed it much be true. it gave examples of diafine and also acuspeed. im very rather new to film so i couldn't say if they did.

i would be a rich man if i ever found the formula.

what developer gives the highest speed increase currently available? ive seen BERGGER BERSPEED, adox fx39, ddx, microphen
Old 29th February 2020, 09:11 AM
Friend

Look up Crawley FX-11, that's the closest he published to Acuspeed. However as it uses Glycin which isn't sold in the UK forget it.

Microphen/ID-68 is a much better developer anyway for push processing.

Ian
Old 29th February 2020, 01:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Look up Crawley FX-11, that's the closest he published to Acuspeed. However as it uses Glycin which isn't sold in the UK forget it.

Microphen/ID-68 is a much better developer anyway for push processing.

Ian
i rang process for help regarding finding a replenisher solution for microphen and the spoke about fx11.

i found that process supplies dont have all the raw chemicals to make id-68/microphen. the formula is on here.
Old 29th February 2020, 07:25 PM
Friend

What don't they have send me a PM

Ian
Old 29th February 2020, 09:24 PM
Friend

I found that M&B's Promicrol back in the 60's worked wonders with FP4. It's long been discontinued due to carcinogenity concerns with HEAP sulphate. It also used glycin. The promicrol sold by Champion is not the same.
Old 5th March 2020, 11:41 PM
Friend

Default Paterson Leaflet July 1991

I still have the instruction leaflet By Paterson dated July 91.

It covers the times for development for the complete range of Paterson film developers.

The paragraph for ACUSPEED (FX-20) reads.....

"ACUSPEED (FX-26) is a speed increasing developer which has the effect of generating a useful film speed increase based on the standard degree of shadow detail in normal subjects. The optimum speed increase of one and two thirds of a stop is achieved at the development times indicated. Longer development times will increase contrast very much more than real film speed, but if detail in the shadow areas is not important, and an increase in contrast is acceptable films can be exposed at even higher ISO settings with increased development up to double the indicated times."

Examples taken from the ACUSPEED table using the figures for Gamma G=0.7 for diffuse enlargers, and 120 roll film....

AGFAPAN 400...……1250...…….15 minutes development 1+7 dilution.

FP4 PLUS...…………..400...……..9 minutes

KODAK T MAX 400...…….1000...…….13 minutes

I do not have a scanner but will try and take a few digital snaps of the data sheet on Friday and post them here.

Paterson used to supply an information sheet for each different type of developer tucked inside the lid of the developer bottle. They eventually supplied a chart that covered the range with no times for cut films or plates, less detail but simple to use.
In those days of no internet most of us didn't know about the availability of decent data leaflets from the film companies. You got by with what manufacturers thought was enough information for the amateur.

It's amazing what junk we keep. I knew it would come in handy one day.

Cheers.

Last edited by Nat Polton; 5th March 2020 at 11:46 PM.
Old 6th March 2020, 12:12 AM
Friend

Nat, my understanding of developer chemistry is limited to say the least but if it increases speed that much then it's text suggests to me that an FP4+ at 400 and 9 mins is indistinguishable from whatever they give for dev time at 125

It would be interesting to take the same scenes shots on 2 short bulk rolls at the requisite speeds and requisite times and see the results

If there is only the most marginal difference in shadow detail then maybe Acuspeed does come close giving to stop and a half increase

Mike
Old 6th March 2020, 10:14 AM
Friend

Default 1991 Paterson Leaflet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	paterson acuspeed.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	3654

Name:	paterson acuspee.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	3655

Name:	acuspeed paterson.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	3656

I am putting the photos on in small batches in case of upsetting space limits.

Acknowledgements to Paterson.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies