Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Top Tips

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th March 2013, 12:00 PM
Friend

Total cost £11.66p
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Built the shutter speed tester as described in the previous post, all parts from Maplin uk.

M5K1 mini resistor 5.1 k ohm
NP64 photo transistor SFH 300-3
FH97 mini toggle switch
HF98 3.5mm stereo plug
YR60 2 x AA battery holder
PP3 clip to battery holder
LH14 box

Downloaded new version of Audacity, needed to plug a microphone into my laptop and run a (search for devices) to register a recording device. Then plugged in shutter tester. Used a LED torch to shine through the lens, started record and fired shutter three times. Magnified sound wave and measured length. It was easy to measure waves up to 1/250. Higher speeds are difficult to measure because of their shape. The sound wave looks like a small wedge, where it tails off it is hard to decide where the end is because it flatlines. Downloaded old version of Audacity and found this easier to use. Will have another play when I get the time. Not sure if the components I have used are correct. Will have another play when I get the time.
Old 7th March 2013, 01:10 PM
Friend

Default wave

Tested my Nikon F-601 at 0.002 1/500 sec. Measured the wave at mid height this gave a result of 0.002086. Due to the irregular shape of the enlarged wave image I think that this is the most accurate way of making an average measurment. Using this method should give good results at the higher speeds, I think
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SST wave.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	1695  
Old 8th March 2013, 01:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Tested my Nikon F-601 at 0.002 1/500 sec. Measured the wave at mid height this gave a result of 0.002086. Due to the irregular shape of the enlarged wave image I think that this is the most accurate way of making an average measurment. Using this method should give good results at the higher speeds, I think
These tables may be useful for calculating the amount shutter speed error in 1/3 of a second increments. www.scantips.com/lights/fstop.html
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies