Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Top Tips

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th November 2017, 11:31 AM
Friend

Default Fuji Hunt c41 Stop part C of the developer going off

To prevent part C turning into gooey black tar store it in a glass bottle. I have stored part C of the developer in a glass bottle with small blast of butane gas in it now for 8 months without the chemical changing its colour. The developer still works as it should. I do this because I only mix the 5ltr kit in 1 ltr batches when required. I develop 4 films at a time and then put the developer back into the 1 ltr stock solution. I get 12 films developed per ltr without any detrimental effects.
Old 28th November 2017, 05:11 PM
Friend

Good to know, Norm. For whatever reason I have nightmares about C41 chemicals failing which may well be unfounded and yet strangely I am much more relaxed about B&W.

Mike
Old 28th November 2017, 05:22 PM
Friend

The other way is to mix the full kit at one go. This will stabilise the degeneration. Store the diluted mix in glass bottles. Say for a 2.5 litre kit, store 2 litres in 4 x 500cc bottles and the remainder in 100cc bottles. I am using Digibase C41 which I mixed about 6 months ago and it has only discoloured by a small amount and is still very usable.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies