Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th November 2018, 07:38 PM
Friend

Default farmers reducer

after seeing on of Pentax Pete's you tube videos ,I remembered that I wanted to try some farmers reducer for some time , mostly I wanted to use it to lighten up eyes or parts of a print , so I bought a packet of fotospeed farmers reducer ,to try out ,it says to make 4x250ml ,and you get 4 packets of sodium thiosulphate 25 gms each and 1 bag of potassium ferricyanide 25 gms .now my crystals are smaller than petes ,but will it work if I just use roughly what pete used , or does it have to be exact amount ..
Old 25th November 2018, 10:54 PM
Friend

have just seen that French video on you tube ,(not that one)and in it the printer is using farmers reducer to lighten up parts of the print , I cannot do links but we were talking about it a while back ..now what I don't know is ,is she using it on the print as it comes out of the fixer and then putting it back in the fixer again or in to the wash,or is she washing the print first then using it then washing the print again .so can I use farmers reducer on the print as it comes out of the fixer and then wash the print as normal …

www.essexcockney.com
Old 25th November 2018, 11:16 PM
Friend

Default Farmers

As I remember it, and I may be wrong, (It is a long time since I used Farmers) but - thinking back you have to wash the print before using it. There is no need to dry the print as it is best treated when still wet.
Old 26th November 2018, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Farmers reducer contains pot. ferricyanide and fixer which means you just have to wash prints after use. However once you have used it there is no way back. Therefore many use dilute ferricyanide to bleach the area of interest, washing with running water as you go, until the area is as you want it and then re-fix the print. If you overdo the bleaching you can usually redevelop if it has not been fixed.
Old 27th November 2018, 10:53 AM
Friend

I found the video I was talking about ,its the magic of analog photography Nathalie lopparelli
Old 8th December 2018, 11:28 PM
Friend

I have had a go with the old farmers reducer I took a guess with the mixer amount ,only a little bit in a jar ,dev and fix as usual and put it in the wash water then took it out and used a small paint brush dipped in the jar then on to the bit I wanted to lighten and strait away rinse with running water repeat until you are happy and then in to the proper wash ,it really works ,its great for those bits you cannot manipulate under the enlarger ,as well as whole prints ,who says that a old dog cannot learn new tricks ,thanks Pete and thanks all for the advice.

www.essexcockney.com
Old 9th December 2018, 01:02 PM
Friend

Paul, don't forget the print needs to be washed and then fixed (and washed again) after applying Ferri, if you haven't included a fixer in the Ferri mix.

Terry S
Old 9th December 2018, 08:58 PM
Friend

hi terry the prints were soaking with fixer I just rinsed them to remove the surface fixer so would they need to be fixed again ,and what it says on the instructions that once you have used it ,it says wash thoroughly ,it does not mention anything about re fixing it . I will put a photo up that went wrong ,the farmers just seemed to spread out , but when I washed the surface fixer of it didn'tClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	2988 happen
Old 9th December 2018, 09:05 PM
Friend

I must say its a good affect the one on the far right it looks like his head is glowing ,but I just wanted to make his head lighter ,
Old 14th December 2018, 05:12 PM
Friend

I have been trying whole 10x8 prints in the farmers reducer ,I think my canary was a bit darker than Pentax petes I managed to over lighten two prints but the other six came out great ,I think I put the right amount of Hypo crystals but I added to much (canary) potassium ferricyanide ,but I am learning and having fun as I go along..
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies