Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th March 2020, 09:25 PM
Friend

Default Shutter for Super Angulon 75mm f/8?

Hello all,

I've just taken delivery of a Super Angulon 75mm f8 for intended eventual use on a 6x12 / 6x17 camera - e.g www.maleficwares.com . However the shutter is non-functional. My attempt at looking inside the Synchro-Compur has convinced me I'm not a shutter repair technician...

Does anyone have a suitable shutter going spare (size '0') or know of a good dealer? I'm much more used to modern equipment so dealing with older lenses is a bit out of my experience.

Tom
Old 9th March 2020, 11:40 PM
Friend

Hi Tom, shutters aren't easy or cheap to come by on there own. And as crazy as it may sound, you may find buying another lens complete with shutter will be the best option.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 10th March 2020, 08:45 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Hi Tom, shutters aren't easy or cheap to come by on there own. And as crazy as it may sound, you may find buying another lens complete with shutter will be the best option.
Hi,

Yes. I had a good look around online last night about have pretty much come to the same conclusion.

Tom
Old 10th March 2020, 09:39 AM
Friend

Do you have to buy a Copal 0 shutter matched to a particular lens so that the apertures match or can they be bought "off-the-shelf" and then set-up to match the lens's range of apertures?
I happen to have, I think (I need to check when I get home tonight), a Copal 0 shutter for a Fujinon 150mm f5.6 lens. The apertures for this lens are from f5.6 to f64.

Nick
Old 10th March 2020, 10:52 AM
Friend

As aperture is relative to Focal Length and Diameter of the aperture if you use the 75mm cells in a shutter with Apertures for a 150mm the 75mm at f8 will be the f16 marking and so on. So easy to make a new scale.

Ian
Old 10th March 2020, 10:58 AM
Friend

Tom, the Schneider SA 75 f8 doesn't cover 6x17 anyway so perhaps getting the SA 90 f8 which just covers 5x7(13x18) formats will be a good choice.

Naturally, make sure it's in good working condition etc.
It's also possible to get a reducer to go from a copal 1 to 0 if necessary. The cameras look good by the way. And while we're at it, I presume you're set-up to be able to print these formats?

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 10th March 2020, 12:50 PM
Friend

It may be cheaper to get the existing shutter repaired / cleaned, or at least seek advice if this would be worthwhile.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 10th March 2020, 01:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Tom, the Schneider SA 75 f8 doesn't cover 6x17 anyway so perhaps getting the SA 90 f8 which just covers 5x7(13x18) formats will be a good choice.

Naturally, make sure it's in good working condition etc.
It's also possible to get a reducer to go from a copal 1 to 0 if necessary. The cameras look good by the way. And while we're at it, I presume you're set-up to be able to print these formats?
1. On format note, I'm happy with 6x12 - although I believe Ian Grant uses a 75mm f8 on 6x17. I should have made that clearer.

2. Yes, I can print up to 10"x8" film.
Old 10th March 2020, 02:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
It may be cheaper to get the existing shutter repaired / cleaned, or at least seek advice if this would be worthwhile.

Neil.
Currently under investigation.
Old 10th March 2020, 04:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
1. On format note, I'm happy with 6x12 - although I believe Ian Grant uses a 75mm f8 on 6x17. I should have made that clearer.

2. Yes, I can print up to 10"x8" film.
As Tom says I've been using a 75mm f8 Super Angulon on a 6x17 camera for some years now (14 or 15) and never had an issue with coverage. The image circle is 181mm so not enough for 7x5 or 13x18, but fine for 6x17, it's the way different shaped and size rectangles fit a circle.

Remember formats are nominal so 6x6 is usually an exposed area of 56mmx56mm, I've not measured a 6x17 negative but it's likely a touch short of 17cm in length (exposed area).

The diagonal of 6x17 is almost exactly 18cm so would just fit however taking the nominal size into account it's an easy fit, after all there's no movements on a fixed lens 6x12 or 6x17 camera.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies