Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th March 2020, 05:52 PM
Friend

Default Ilford Free Delivery until Midnight Monday 16th March 2020

I have just received the above offer. Minimum spend of £15 applies

Mike
Old 13th March 2020, 06:21 PM
Friend

This is promising. I may stock up on some powdered developer now. Cheers for the heads up
Old 13th March 2020, 10:16 PM
Friend

thanks mike ,I have just put in my big order, 3 bottles ,YES 3 bottles of stop bath ,I cannot remember the last time I had 3 bottles of stop bath ,this is a big day for me
Old 13th March 2020, 11:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
thanks mike ,I have just put in my big order, 3 bottles ,YES 3 bottles of stop bath ,I cannot remember the last time I had 3 bottles of stop bath ,this is a big day for me
Great but don't drink it all at once as our parents used to say to us

Mike
Old 15th March 2020, 02:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I too was thinking of buying some more stop, as I am getting low too, although it does last an awfully long time with the big dilution amounts recommended.

I was just about to put some in my basket, when I noticed the text. It says that it's a low odour citric acid stop bath, which a lot of people say goes off very quickly with fungus. Well this will be no good in my Nov slot processor. I also have some citric acid powder already, so if I ever want to use it with films as a one off, I've already got what I require.

I only recently bought paper and other chemicals, so shame Ilford, but I won't be making an order.

Terry S
Old 15th March 2020, 03:45 PM
Friend

I bought a load of stuff from AG ,but forgot the stop bath ,I get my chemicals in 5ltr bottles about twice or three times a year and I usually buy three bottles of stop bath at one go ,I did have trouble with another make ,with things growing in it ,but I have never had that trouble with the Ilford stop bath ,maybe because it is in smaller bottles .
Old 15th March 2020, 07:14 PM
Friend

Paul your post made me look at Ag stop baths and by far the cheapest is the Tetenal 5L acetic acid. At a dilution of 1:50 this is 250L of the stuff for under £22 so about 8.8p per litre. OK it is colourless so no indication of exhaustion but at this price you could certainly afford to change it more often

A bit behind on value for money is the Kodak stuff which I have. At 1:63 it goes even further and has an indicator but in comparison with Tetenal it is a lot more expensive on a volume for volume basis. Roughly about 28p per litre for Kodak, taking into account the bigger dilution for it whereas Tetenal is about 8.8p per litre

By far the most expensive is Ilford stop. On the above basis, taking into account dilution it is about 60p per litre and while citric acid may be less smelly there is the possible fungal problem. Frankly the vinegary smell at 1:63 or I suspect at 1:50 for Tetenal virtually disappears - well the Kodak one does for my nose

Mike
Old 16th March 2020, 12:10 AM
Administrator

Ilfostop lasts many weeks in my Nova - but my darkroom is only heated when in use so if yours is as warm as the rest of the house then you may (or may not) have issues sooner.

Snag for me with acetic acid stop is that it gives me a sore throat, even with the fan on and the chemicals in my Nova slotty-thing with its much reduced surface area, so I stick with odourless citric acid based - usually Ilfostop. As I do reuse it in my slotty-thing, the higher cost is largely irrelevant.
Old 16th March 2020, 12:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Paul your post made me look at Ag stop baths and by far the cheapest is the Tetenal 5L acetic acid. At a dilution of 1:50 this is 250L of the stuff for under £22 so about 8.8p per litre. OK it is colourless so no indication of exhaustion but at this price you could certainly afford to change it more often

A bit behind on value for money is the Kodak stuff which I have. At 1:63 it goes even further and has an indicator but in comparison with Tetenal it is a lot more expensive on a volume for volume basis. Roughly about 28p per litre for Kodak, taking into account the bigger dilution for it whereas Tetenal is about 8.8p per litre

Mike
Requiring some replacement stop bath, of the acetic acid variety, I've trawled all the sponsors sites and elsewhere. The cheapest by far that I've found, is Kodak, which dilutes as you say at 1:63 and what I've constantly used in the past.

The following ebay seller is selling a 473ml bottle, which is almost twice the size that you worked out your calculations on Mike, for the sum of £13.78 including p/p. This price is way below your £22.00, for a bottle holding nearly twice as much! Unless I've got it totally wrong, this price beats all the others quoted by a mile.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kodak-Ind...72.m2749.l2649

Terry S
Old 16th March 2020, 01:58 PM
Friend

Terry, I was trying to establish the same base for each stop and work out its cost on a per litre of correctly diluted stop So for the Tetenal 5L at 1:50 it makes 250L at £22 so equals 8.8p per litre

For Kodak it is just under 500ml at £8.80 with dilution of 1:63 so Kodak makes, say, 1/2 litre x 63 = 31.5L which is 28p per litre

For ilford it is £6 for 1/2 litre at 1:19 so makes 9.5 L which = 62p per litre

Actually it looks as of your Kodak e-bay seller is actually charging more that Ag unless the delivery is free

I hope I have got my maths right

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies