Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd January 2011, 04:37 PM
Friend

Default Donna Nook

I'm hoping this hasn't already been mentioned here but my contribution is Donna Nook on the east coast in Lincolnshire. The place is just so wild with glorious old world wooden posts drifting off towards the horizon but placed with some intent right across the beach. Massive expanses of sand and nothingness with a huge, enormous sky especially around April time. Take your 17mm lens and a red filter and just soak up the sheer volume of what is on display here. This is a truly beautiful, silent and inspiring place to be. When I lived in Lincolnshire I would spend days here just soaking up the silence and drinking copious amounts of Batemans XXXB. Bliss...!
Old 3rd January 2011, 04:44 PM
Friend

I'll second that. Great place, have spent some good days there.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 3rd January 2011, 05:05 PM
Friend

Great location - love to return. I was there one December when the young seal pups come ashore - wonderful sight.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 21st August 2011, 08:52 AM
Friend

Well, just to revamp this old thread, a photographer friend of mine called Rob Passey from Derbyshire and myself from North Yorkshire are going to be visiting Donna Nook this very Saturday, weather permitting. If its a gorgeous day I shall be out there trekking miles down the beach to a few old military installations using up an old stock of Agfapan APX100 in my fab Nikon F3/MD-4 with a 17mm lens and orange filter. Now that should be a brill combination for Lincolnshire and its massive skies. I'll be treating the film to development in Neofin Blue. Can't wait...! Happy late summer everyone.
Old 13th November 2016, 10:27 AM
Friend

I would like to add that now that it is 2016, I live back in my beloved Lincolnshire about twenty five minutes drive from the Nook. I love this damn place so much as it feeds me with inspiration constantly. All of those who rattle on about the colour of the light in Cornwall need to spend time here as it is just the same. A drips with an excess of blue mixed with a gram or two of ozone. The place reeks of the seaside and every step is a step closer to your inner emotions.

OK, enough ranting, I think you get the picture.

There is a jazz musician called Dave Blackmore who has a quartet and he once composed a tune called Donna Nook. This is how the place inspires. It is on the very edge of emotion and melancholy.

Have a fantastic Christmas break everyone.
Old 13th November 2016, 02:54 PM
Friend

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the pointer, spend a lot of time in the summer just north of Skeggy. Not a million miles from there. Somewhere to add to places to visit. Not been to Gibralter point for quite a while, that's on next year's list as well.

Ian
Old 21st November 2016, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Hmm. That made me realise that I have never spent any time in Lincolnshire! An omission on my part that I will have to remedy in the coming year if I can.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 12th January 2017, 03:29 AM
Friend

Well, it is now January 2017, the 12th to be honest and my first visit to Donna Nook was a couple of days ago. OK so a bit of a wasted journey really as the seal side of things is still fenced off and us locals don't really go for the seals we go for the sheer beauty of this rather desolate and remote place. So, I cannot wait for March as I now have a Samyang 14mm lens to use on these huge skies which kind of took me by surprise. Why...? Because the barrel of the lens is all metal and feels like a nice quality item. Using my Nikon D600 FX format camera I can tell you though that unless this lens is stopped well down the optical quality does not match the physical quality. It is nowhere near sharp in the corners. Using my nice Nikon 20mm AFD proves just how sharp things can actually be. So, it'll be nice to load up my Nikon FM2n/MD12 with a really good roll of film, stick on the 14mill and get to Donna Nook. Now then, what film/developer should I use...?
Old 12th January 2017, 05:02 PM
Friend

sounds great Shaun you will have to start a new post for wide-angle lenses and how you are getting on with yours .now I am intrigued with this lens ,you will have to tell us more..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 13th January 2017, 10:54 PM
Friend

Default Samyang wideangle

I, too, find the Samyang wideangle to be disappointing for architectural photography at any aperture. As reported in PhotoZone.DE, the distortion cannot be fully corrected in the Distort > Lens Correction facility in Photoshop, which works on pincushion or barrel distortion but not 'moustache'. I reserve it for B&W (35mm) pictorial, non-architectural pictures where my 50mm Distagon (on 6x6) is not wide enough and where distortion is not an issue.
But at least it didn't cost much.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies