Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Negative Printing Exchange

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th September 2011, 05:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
No mention is made of returning the neg(s) or posting a print back to the originator. Personally, I'd like to see the interpretation "in the flesh" as well as having the neg returned.

A minor point, but I'm not sure the "anonymous" aspect of a print exchange translates too well to an exchange where participants are paired. Perhaps an announcement of the pairings after the deadline of sign-up has passed ?
A couple of goods points Paul, perhaps people wanting the negative returned should include a self addressed envelope? I intend to shoot additional negatives for this exchange but appreciate others may not be able to do so.

Regarding the anonimity I think it is probably worth listing the pairings via the website as you suggest as well as sending out details via personal messages.

Thanks for your input.

Steve
Old 24th September 2011, 06:58 PM
Friend

Is it necessary that participants are paired?
If "A" sends a negative to "B" to print, "B" could very well send their negative to someone else in the circle. This is the way the print exchange works, we don't swop prints between pairs.
Old 24th September 2011, 07:27 PM
Friend

I assume that the owner of the neg will want a copy of the printer's print and the printer would like to have a copy of the owner's print from the same neg so each can compare their interpretation with the others. I guess prints would not be exchanged until both people had made their print.

Tony
Old 24th September 2011, 10:09 PM
Administrator

My thought is that a print not be sent with the negative - prints can be exchanged after both negatives have been printed to avoid influencing the recipient.

Also the sender needs to understand that if the negative disappears in the post, gets chewed by the recipient's cat or is otherwise damaged or lost, the recipient is absolved from all and any responsibility - even if as a result of their own negligence. Do not send a negative you are not prepared to lose.
Old 25th September 2011, 06:45 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
My thought is that a print not be sent with the negative - prints can be exchanged after both negatives have been printed to avoid influencing the recipient.

Also the sender needs to understand that if the negative disappears in the post, gets chewed by the recipient's cat or is otherwise damaged or lost, the recipient is absolved from all and any responsibility - even if as a result of their own negligence. Do not send a negative you are not prepared to lose.
Excellent points Bob.
Old 25th September 2011, 10:12 AM
Friend

Personally I'd be happy to send the finished print seperately from the negative although it will obviously add additional cost to each exchange. Pairing is not absolutely necessary but I'd prefer to do it that way in the trial run to keep it simple while the various bugs are ironed out of the process and other feedback is incorporated.

Steve
Old 25th September 2011, 10:19 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
Personally I'd be happy to send the finished print seperately from the negative although it will obviously add additional cost to each exchange. Pairing is not absolutely necessary but I'd prefer to do it that way in the trial run to keep it simple while the various bugs are ironed out of the process and other feedback is incorporated.

Steve
The cost of sending the negative separately need be no more than a second class letter, so no great additional expense involved.
Old 25th September 2011, 10:52 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The cost of sending the negative separately need be no more than a second class letter, so no great additional expense involved.
I think I'd want my negatives afforded greater protection than that - and therein lies the rub...

Last edited by Richard Lee; 25th September 2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 25th September 2011, 12:11 PM
Friend

I'll be shooting negatives speifically for this exchange and would not expect a return. I wouln't trust a valuable neg with the postal service either.

Steve
Old 25th September 2011, 02:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lee View Post
I think I'd want my negatives afforded greater protection than that - and therein lies the rub...
What greater protection do you envisage being necessary?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies