Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Feedback and forum matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th November 2012, 01:36 AM
Friend

Default Gallery

I've been looking around and noticed that there are lot of useful information, but not that much of photos in the gallery . Aren't the forum members a bit lazy?

Just joking!!
Old 11th November 2012, 09:00 AM
Friend

Pedro

Actually this is a good point. There may be several reasons why there are not more image posts.

The majority of people here produce darkroom prints. Converting a paper print into an on-screen digital image may be less interesting to them and is perhaps defeating the object i.e. the hand crafted print is the final destination.

When we had the FADU annual exhibition & yearbook only about 25 people entered their work which is not a great number compared to the regular posters on the forum. We also have the print/negative exchanges which seem to involve similar small numbers.

Inevitably people will have different outlets for their work. Some will work on projects and put on exhibitions, some will keep the work to themselves, others will enter competitions etc. I think it would be safe to say that work is being made even if it is not appearing in the gallery.

By its very nature a forum like this will tend to be technical and process driven, being one of the few places to go to get expert knowledge of un-digital photography. There are legions of sites for photo critique and once a print is scanned it becomes a digital image so the playing field is level (sort of).

I hope this becomes an interesting and lively thread.

Les
Old 11th November 2012, 09:06 AM
Friend

I think you've got a point there, Pedro.
Often I decide to load a couple of photos to a gallery and then either laziness or indecision stops me.
We have two general galleries available : discussion, and help. When looking at my photos, there's not much to discuss and I'm not really looking for help, so hesitate what to do. Tru, we have albums and that's good. Could it be useful to have a 'General' or 'Members' or 'Public' or something else Gallery where we just show what we want?
what do others feel about this?
Peter
Old 11th November 2012, 09:30 AM
Friend

The Albums section has many images and is well used. An album can be started by any member and does not have to consist of a large number of images. In fact many members have started an album off with two or three images and gradually built the album up over a period of time. If you want you can also have a number of albums on the go for different subjects, although some members just use one album. The choice is yours!

The Galleries are more specific and they will always attract less entries. Although I will agree the extent of their present use is disappointing.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 11th November 2012, 10:28 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Hinga View Post
I've been looking around and noticed that there are lot of useful information, but not that much of photos in the gallery . Aren't the forum members a bit lazy?

Just joking!!
You know the truth is quite the opposite, Pedro!

It's because our hobby is SO labour intensive that many of us just don't have the time or inclination to do the bit with pixels, as well.

Also if our work was intended to be viewed on a screen then I can assure you we'd all be digital junkies instead of chemical heads.

I suggest you take part in the print/negative exchange rounds to experience the passion or would the walk to the post office be too much effort!

In the mean time, feel free to fill up the server space.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 11th November 2012, 12:31 PM
Friend

What I mean is, the huge amount quality information in this forum make me believe that you guys have good work that I would love to see.
To me, as must as I love to spend time in my darkroom, it only make sense if someone see the result, just because I know I can learn a lot with it.
I never thought having a darkroom until I saw live the work of the masters, and my chin fall (I don’t know if you use this expression).
I hope you don’t miss understand me, because my English….
Anyway, I confess I’m a bit lost, and just found the personal the albums.
Old 11th November 2012, 12:41 PM
Friend

click on peoples userid in a post and the drop down may show a link to peoples home page where you can view their images. not everyone has on though.
Old 13th November 2012, 12:01 AM
Administrator

In an attempt to make the Albums more visible I have added a link to them right after the link to the Gallery on the main forum list page.

There is already a link on the top menu bar and there is a display of the most recent uploads at the bottom of the forum list page.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 13th November 2012, 12:28 AM
Friend

I have a scanner which is so old it is operated by a donkey turning a wheel

It seems that even good scanners produce scans that lack the detail of the actual print based on the regular comments I see in the gallery to the effect that the scan never does justice to the print in front of the recipient.

For both the above reasons I don't attempt scans.

Mike
Old 13th November 2012, 12:34 AM
Friend

is there anything that could be done with the configuration of the FADU gallery - what I mean: I add the same scan of a my photograph to flickr and FADU. On flickr I get quite a close version to the scanned image. In FADU gallery, I get a unsharp image, far off the original...

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies