Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd July 2013, 12:53 PM
Friend

Default Don McCullin tonight!

Following last weeks program about Vivian Maier, tonight's "Imagine" documentary on BBC One at 22.35 is dedicated to Don McCullin.
Looking forward to it.
Old 2nd July 2013, 01:30 PM
Friend

The 95 minute time slot provides for a more in-depth review of the photographer's life and work and I thought this extended time really well used by the team producing the programme on Vivian Maier. I. for one, would like to encourage the BBC to produce a further series in the same vein.
Old 2nd July 2013, 04:13 PM
Friend

Thanks its on my watch list. Even though it is on a bit late

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 2nd July 2013, 04:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaunchK View Post
The 95 minute time slot provides for a more in-depth review of the photographer's life and work and I thought this extended time really well used by the team producing the programme on Vivian Maier. I. for one, would like to encourage the BBC to produce a further series in the same vein.
It would seem our run of luck has finished: according to the BBC website the next Imagine episode is about Rod Stewart!
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:22 AM
Friend

Just watched this.
In 1979 I started university. I went with my student grant to Glasgow University book shop to buy the essential text on Organic chemistry and came out with Hearts of Darkness.
It was my first photo book.
I admire Weston, Meatyard, Adams, Bullock, Kertesz, Sieff, Atget and others, but McCullin is special.
I have no idea how he is alive, or sane. His photographs are not only beautifully composed and technically excellent, but they document the very nature of humanity. The have an extraordinary weight of meaning. I'm glad he exists, but I'm just as glad I don't have his nightmares.
Wishing you well, Don.
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:07 AM
Friend

Hard to look at sometimes, especially on the subject of Biafra, but a brilliant programme. Great to see Don shaking off his demons in the English countryside wielding a Mamiya Press (?). All the good guys use film
Old 3rd July 2013, 04:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
Thanks its on my watch list. Even though it is on a bit late
You could always do as I'm doing Mitch and record it = on whatever means you have = video cassette (equivalent to film?) or hard-drive (equivalent to digital?)

Looking forward to watching it over breakfast.

Terry S
Old 3rd July 2013, 05:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
You could always do as I'm doing Mitch and record it = on whatever means you have = video cassette (equivalent to film?) or hard-drive (equivalent to digital?)

Looking forward to watching it over breakfast.

Terry S
Why didn't I think of that

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 3rd July 2013, 06:11 PM
Friend

it was a great programme with don filling in the details ,the parts with children suffering was hard to watch and I had to close my eyes, as I am getting older it is getting harder to watch or hear children suffering,
and its so nice to see and hear children happy ...
I would have liked to see some of his current work ,so maybe the bbc could make an other programme ,we don't seem to celebrate our top photographers ,and lets face it they are not getting any younger ......

www.essexcockney.com
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:05 PM
Friend

I watched with admiration of his ability and courage but considerable unease as well. I was left wondering if these images actually did anything more than provide a few moments of shock/ disgust before we turned to the sports supplement.

Bob Robertson.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies