Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Feedback and forum matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd August 2013, 05:31 PM
Friend

Default More:

I will try to reply to the first few of your comments.

Alex: I fully share your views and that not everything modern is good. One would hope that your troubles are teething troubles and be soon sorted.

Neil & Richard: A very good point about the time needed to be spent on changing. As for getting someone to do it, I know loads of so called computer experts but only one or perhaps two know what they are talking about, it's another potentially problematic area. On the money side, one would hope our sponsors would pay some, but I see no reason why some of us regular users should not chip in also.

John Butler: I don't share your views. It is very tedious to load attachments and other data such as manuals and I don't ofter get much success with it and have given up trying. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. I don't think we have too many sections on the forum. We clearly need a few more if we are to keep up with the times.

Miha: There have been times when I have needed an answer to a question and not found it here. So I have trawled the net for other forums and joined some. Some have much better software, not just the graphics, and are no problem at all to use. Sorry no names as we don't want a mass exodus from here.

Paul: Good, you vote for the stone age if you like and I hope you are happy there.
Old 22nd August 2013, 05:59 PM
Friend

There's always a need for websites to progress over time and maybe that's what needs addressing. At some stage forum software becomes unsupported and it's then very difficult to upgrade (I'm not suggesting this sitese's at that stage).

Then there's always a need to tweak and improve a website on an ongoing basis. Another UK website has stood still and the number of posts has dropped significantly month by month, part of the site is 5 years out of date.

Ian
Old 22nd August 2013, 06:16 PM
Friend

you did not say it was a vote you just asked for our opinion if you don't
like other peoples opinions don't ask ,and if a website is not up to your standards and if you are willing to pay start your own one up ..
what this site needs is more people using it and not changing the site and pushing people out ,so when we are out and we see somebody using a film camera we should just mention fadu
Old 22nd August 2013, 07:52 PM
Friend

Errrre, I think I am in the Stone Age! It takes months to find my way around any web site.

Tony
Old 22nd August 2013, 08:16 PM
Friend

Well we have a great and very useful manuals section which seems to work well and some much more sophisticated sites don't. We don't have a "soapbox/lounge section" for which I am grateful nor a hybrid section but we are a Film and Darkroom site so the founding fathers never had a remit or intention for cater for hybrid matters.

The only minor niggle it seems to me is that when I look at a new post and then before replying need to do some research the site will not take me back the post/thread as I have read it. I have to go into the appropriate section to find it and sometimes I haven't paid attention to what section the post belonged so a bit of digging is required but that is a very minor niggle and unless it is one that can be easily and cheaply fixed then I can manage as things are.

Mike
Old 22nd August 2013, 08:59 PM
Friend

As far as functionality goes I don't see anything wrong with this forum, in fact it uses identical software to many other fora I use. No problems, what's not "modern" about it?
Old 22nd August 2013, 09:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanJones View Post
I don't know quite what other peoples views are on this topic, so here goes!

I think that the forum software is a load of old junk now and we should be actively seeking ways to come up with something more modern.

Over to you all for comments
You're most probably right Alan.

But unfortunately I for one don't much care for software, hardware or underwear for that matter!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 23rd August 2013, 05:25 AM
Friend

I am also happy with the functionality of the forum, I find it easy to navigate and get what I'm looking for.
Richard
Old 23rd August 2013, 07:05 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I think I should point out at this point that this is not happening.
Thank you Bob, and many many thanks to all admins for keeping this forum afloat. It is superb!
peter
Old 23rd August 2013, 09:04 AM
Friend

It works. Leave it alone.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies