Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd August 2016, 10:14 PM
Friend

Default Vivitar enlarger

I had a bit of luck today somebody offered me a vivitar vi dioptic light sources enlarger and a 50mm 2.8 nikkor enlarger lens .The enlarger is a big old lump I have just finished putting it back together after cleaning it inside and out ,it had been sitting in a garage for sometime .It came with a timer ,a Philips automatic timer PDT024 . The nikkor lens has some mould in the lens otherwise its like new has anybody took one of these apart and cleaned one. The negative carrier is possibly the worst design I have ever seen ,I have all 3 condenser lenses and a thing called a attenuator its two plastic lenses one folds over the over what it is I don't know .I was printing some portraits I did for a client but tidied up my darkroom also had to clean it so I haven't had time to play with it .
My DeVere 504 was looking a bit jealous but I told her not to worrie she will always be my first love :-) ..has anybody got had or used one of these vivitar enlargers .

www.essexcockney.com
Old 23rd August 2016, 11:56 PM
Friend

I must say that I have cleaned the 50mm2.8 el lens so I am really proud all I can see is a minute scratch on the front element other than that its as clear as day . I am looking forward to using the vivitar enlarger in the next couple of days ...

www.essexcockney.com
Old 24th August 2016, 08:00 AM
Friend

Hi Paul

I use to have one many years ago and loved it. I managed to pick it up with all the neg carriers including the anti newton glass carrier. There where also a set of condensers that would allow it to go up to 67 neg size. The angled chassis allows you to keep the easel on the board with big enlargements. I also used it with Nikon lenses 50mm, 75mm and an 80mm if I remember correctly. It certainly done everything I needed.
Regarding the attenuator I am not certain as mine did not have one. I think most attenuators, certainly on my Durst and Meopta are dials to reduce the light output.
Old 26th August 2016, 10:17 AM
Friend

note to oneself always look on the internet for instructions instead of looking at bits and wondering where they go ,I found where the attenuator goes and what its for, its there to hold colour correction or multigrade filters and it stops light spilling out so it has to be installed all the time .so I am getting there I still haven't run some negative through it yet ,but I will try this weekend ...

www.essexcockney.com
Old 26th August 2016, 01:56 PM
Friend

Here Paul try this

http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-c...rVI_Manual.pdf
Old 26th August 2016, 02:55 PM
Friend

thanks Steve for your help ,it doesn't seem a bad enlarger after all its the neg carrier that is a bit annoying but I suppose I can get used to that .I have never used a enlarger with a colour head and condenser so am looking forward to having a go with it ,I would guess there are not many enlargers around with this setup.. thank again Steve..

www.essexcockney.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies