Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th September 2018, 09:06 AM
Friend

Default Vivitar VI Enlarger

Hi All,

Recently one a job lot on the dreaded ebay and collected it all on Sunday. It includes a Vivitar VI enlarger with multiple lenses and carriers so I can eventually have a go at Medium format.

Now to enlarge medium format 6x6 the slide the adjustable condenser into the correct slot which is easier enough. Now it has an extra part (Second Pic down in enlarger and third pic on its own) which I think is a Heat Absorbing Glass which is listed in accessories but just wanted to check what you all think.

The last pic shows another Main Condenser Cluster with VII on it, it looks like it may be the same as the one already in there but wanted to check what you though.

Thanks
David

Old 25th September 2018, 02:11 PM
Friend

The piece you mention does appear to be heat-absorbing glass. The extra condenser might be from another similar enlarger. Was there a model VII?
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 25th September 2018, 04:32 PM
Friend

Sometimes condensers are combined for different formats and focal length lenses.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 25th September 2018, 05:20 PM
Friend

I have one and I just had a look it the enlarger and I have the moveable condenser and a plastic folding thing it takes the grade filters and has two plastic lenses ,when you put the filter in you fold it and this sandwiches the filter and it has attenuator stamped on it ,I don't know what your one is as it looks different to mine as I have never used the enlarger I don't know a lot about it ...
Old 26th September 2018, 08:46 AM
Friend

Hi David

This may be of help.

http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-c...rVI_Manual.pdf

I did have one of these with all the accessories with it including the items in your pics. If I remember correctly the standard VI allowed up to 6 x 6. The VII condenser allowed you to enlarge 6 x 7 negs. I never fitted mine as I only used 6 x 6.
The other piece I think was if you just had it set up as the B&W condensor version. Again I never used it as I had the colour head on and the light pipe was considered not to generate any heat.
From a personal point of view l loved this enlarger. It worked a treat and the angled column allowed the easel to be place on the base without having to have it hanging over the edge. The only down side was the base was quite small. Good luck with it.
Old 26th September 2018, 06:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
Hi David

This may be of help.

http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-c...rVI_Manual.pdf

I did have one of these with all the accessories with it including the items in your pics. If I remember correctly the standard VI allowed up to 6 x 6. The VII condenser allowed you to enlarge 6 x 7 negs. I never fitted mine as I only used 6 x 6.
The other piece I think was if you just had it set up as the B&W condensor version. Again I never used it as I had the colour head on and the light pipe was considered not to generate any heat.
From a personal point of view l loved this enlarger. It worked a treat and the angled column allowed the easel to be place on the base without having to have it hanging over the edge. The only down side was the base was quite small. Good luck with it.
Thanks

I read a review on how hot it gets without the colour head

http://www.jollinger.com/photo/enlargers/vivitar.html

But I won't be using it without the colour head anyway.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies