Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th August 2016, 08:20 PM
Friend

Default sky arts master of photography

has anybody been watching master of photography on sky arts and what do you think of it ,I can sum it up in three words but that's my opinion ,I am not enjoying it very much but just out of curiosity I will watch it to the end ,unless I loose the will to live before the end that is .they all look the part but that is as fare as it goes the final digitally mucked about images are quite boring to say the least .What I cannot understand is there must be some good photographers out there so where did they get this lot from ???. sky arts is one of the better channels on sky and they can have some great programmes on there but this is not one of them ..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 4th August 2016, 09:30 PM
Friend

I cannot watch any Sky programmes, Paul, as I refuse to subscribe to a form of "pay TV" and I do not want to derail this thread but seeing your disappointment makes me wonder why BBC hasn't repeated "The Genius of Photography" series which I thought was excellent and worth repeating now several years have passed.

It seems to repeat other stuff within months of a first showing but this programme seems to have fallen off the "repeat conveyor belt".

Mike
Old 4th August 2016, 10:42 PM
Friend

I just can't watch shows like this, same with their guitar hero series and I really love the guitar. These shows are all variations on the Voice theme which has been done, never produced what it was supposed to and should really just end as this sort of concept blatantly doesn't work.

I have the Wagner ring cycle on the box now so I can't disparage Sky Arts to much.
Old 5th August 2016, 06:52 AM
Friend

I watched the first one. I obviously wasn't impressed as I haven't seen any more.

Steve.
Old 5th August 2016, 08:15 AM
Friend

Interesting, must have been "bad going worse" ... Watched the first one and found it "ok" but the second I found boring, though it was a city I love,.. Didnt like the expert's attitude in the second either... Shall see what the 3rd brings and decide...
Old 5th August 2016, 11:22 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I cannot watch any Sky programmes, Paul, as I refuse to subscribe to a form of "pay TV" and I do not want to derail this thread but seeing your disappointment makes me wonder why BBC hasn't repeated "The Genius of Photography" series which I thought was excellent and worth repeating now several years have passed.

It seems to repeat other stuff within months of a first showing but this programme seems to have fallen off the "repeat conveyor belt".

Mike
That makes two. I refuse to pay to watch adverts

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 5th August 2016, 12:16 PM
Friend

I watched the first 20 minutes of the first episode and then lost the will to live.

I haven't watched anymore.

I just can't understand why Sky (or whomever the show makers are) feel they can declare the winner of such a contrived and staged show as a "Master of Photography"?

Why not make a programme on the "real" masters of photography?

Oh, yes, that would be too expensive and Leica may not sponsor such a show.

Mike
Old 5th August 2016, 01:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
...why BBC hasn't repeated "The Genius of Photography" series which I thought was excellent and worth repeating now several years have passed.

Mike
I can't comment on the Sky programme as I don't subscribe - I find there are more than enough 'free' channels around without having to use up even more of my time watching even more tv, however much I enjoy it.

My main point though - the BBC 'Genius of Photography' is out on DVD and is really worth the purchase. I have watched it all on DVD numerous times as well as having dipped in and out for certain bits. One of my better buys I think.

Terry S
Old 5th August 2016, 04:31 PM
Friend

Like Mike and Terry I can't comment on anything from sky as I object strongly to paying out to sky, I prefer freesat, but the BBC Genius of photography was brilliant tele, shame it is not repeated, msyber next winter when BBC seems to exist on mainly repeats
Richard
Old 6th August 2016, 10:38 AM
Friend

you know then you are watching a tv series and you think that it cannot get worse ,well it just did ,I am not a prude but I am not keen on nude photography ,I am more your head and shoulders type of photographer anyway I think people look better clothed ,my opinion of this episode is it was worse than the other two ,this programme and the quality of the photography is definitely getting worse thank god for a fast forward button I will carry on recording it just to have something to moan about .I am becoming a right victor Meldrew .I don't believe it

www.essexcockney.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies