Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Overseas

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th February 2022, 07:45 PM
Friend

Default Austrian Alps

A little further afield, but now that restrictions with access and travel are easing it may be a possibility. Landscapes to die and the food not far behind. There is good access to most areas by road, but then a bit of a hike to get something different with an interesting viewpoint.

I am longing to get back to Ziller Tal and the Gross Glockner pass. There are few people and in spring, wild life in the shape of Mouflon, (rare), Ibex and Chamois. These keep themselves to themselves but can be photographed with a long lens, (Min 300mm on full frame digital or film.) Then there are herds of wild goats bigger than Shetland ponies. There are also Marmots, a sort of ground squirrel about the size of a big Spaniel dog and reasonably tame - up to a point. They have a terrific life style sleep for 7 months of the year feed like mad for the other five and mate whenever they can (and awake). If you walk the paths, there are no snakes, but beware because ticks abound, so best not to wear shorts.

One nearly brought me off my motorcycle on a bend descending the Gross Glockner, when it tried to outrun me crossing the road at a hairpin bend. Fortunately my Ferodo brake pads were better than four soft pads on his feet!

Last edited by John King; 10th February 2022 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10th February 2022, 09:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
If you walk the paths, there are no snakes, but beware because ticks abound, so best not to wear shorts.

One nearly brought me off my motorcycle on a bend descending the Gross Glockner, when it tried to outrun me crossing the road at a hairpin bend.
I was liking the sound of this region until you said what the ticks can do

It's bit like that in Canada. A Scotsman on his first visit, gets off the train in deep winter to be met by a local. They are walking through the forest and come across a large animal that appeared to have horns

The Scot asks what it is and the local says: "That, Jock, is a Canadian Moose"

The Scot is shocked and replies: "Let's hope we don't come across one of your rats"

Mike

Last edited by Bob; 10th February 2022 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Corrected a broken Quote tag. After I stopped laughing!
Old 11th February 2022, 03:47 AM
Friend

Ticks have 8 legs!
Old 11th February 2022, 07:58 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcowan View Post
Ticks have 8 legs!

I wouldn't know that I have never got that close and personal with them. (That I know of).
Old 11th February 2022, 02:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
beware because ticks abound, so best not to wear shorts.

One nearly brought me off my motorcycle on a bend descending the Gross Glockner, when it tried to outrun me crossing the road at a hairpin bend. Fortunately my Ferodo brake pads were better than four soft pads on his feet!
But you said...
Old 11th February 2022, 06:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I was liking the sound of this region until you said what the ticks can do

It's bit like that in Canada. A Scotsman on his first visit, gets off the train in deep winter to be met by a local. They are walking through the forest and come across a large animal that appeared to have horns

The Scot asks what it is and the local says: "That, Jock, is a Canadian Moose"

The Scot is shocked and replies: "Let's hope we don't come across one of your rats"

Mike

Yup, we grow ‘em big here Mike.
Old 11th February 2022, 08:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
Yup, we grow ‘em big here Mike.
Yes even the two Jock cats ( I know they are Scottish as they are both ginger) who visit us from 2 houses away draw the line at Canadian mooses

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies