Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th December 2012, 09:23 PM
Friend

Default Nikon AI/AIs 25-50 f4 and 28-85 f3.5-4.5

Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone uses, or has used, either or both of these lenses.

I intended to buy a 25-50 Nikkor to partner my 35-70 f3.5 lens when it occurred to me that the 28-85 might be a better option. I want the lens for street photography and it it occurred to me that the 28-85 would allow the use of only one lens/camera combo and I think 28 at the short end might be wide enough but I don't want to sacrifice too much in the way of quality. What assessments I can find on the net are generally enthusiastic regarding the 25-50 but more reserved on the 28-85 There are several good condition copies of both lenses currently available at similar prices for either lens. Actually it seems the 28-85 is the only manual zoom Nikkor still manufactured.

I would be grateful for any comments, especially on the longer lens.

Mike
Old 30th December 2012, 11:55 AM
Friend

Default Nikon Lenses

Firstly can I say I have used both of these at one time or another and they are both very sharp.

My only caveat is with the 28-85, there is significant pincushion distortion at one end of the zoom range and Barrel at the other. The 25-50 has some (Not a lot) distortion but unless you are photographing a straight line at the edge of the image then it is largely unnoticeable
Old 30th December 2012, 12:17 PM
Friend

28mm lens is the smallest you can go with out distortion in genaral use. I use a fix lenght 28mm lens and at certain angles to subject situations you can get a bit of rounding. I have found that 28mm can be a little over wide, having said that I'm surprised how much I use it.

The 28-85 mm lens is a light weight twin ring lens suited to to the type of pictures you intend to take. At the wider end of its range you should be able to focus down to 9 inches 23cms I hope this helps.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 31st December 2012, 01:34 PM
Friend

Thanks very much guys. That's very helpful. I think I will get the 28-85 purely for the convenience.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies