Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th February 2016, 10:19 AM
Friend

A hair drier may not be a good idea, unless it is used evenly it can produce distortions to the metal. I did place it in the airing cupboard overnight where it did have a chance to warm up but there was little or no difference. I will either just have to live with it or find someone who is prepared to do the work. The more I use it I'm hoping it will free up a little.
Old 4th December 2016, 08:08 PM
Friend

I know it's a massive pain, and I just paid through the nose for a repair job on a Yashica TLR, but you say yourself that this is a 90 minute job that sounds skilled to me. If I had those skills i would not want to be working for as little as £40 for 90 minutes work, and that includes costs as you say. I also would not want anyone working on my cameras who was low skilled enough to warrant cheap prices. The holy trinity of fast, cheap or good applies here. Only it's pick one in this case!
Old 7th December 2016, 10:24 PM
Friend

I have a Leica M6 which seems good, smooth, gaps every frame perfectly and never lets me down. But I found the original invoice for it & was horrified to find I had bought it 27 years ago & its been my main camera. I then got the idea in my head that it must be overdue for a service. After enquires I was given the details of a highly recommended Leica service guy. I rung him, he asked me several questions & he then told me that there was no need for a service & he would not do one as it would not be needed & he would feel guilty taking the money. The advice was unless it gave any problems just keep using it & think about a service when it was about 50 years old. I said you have talked yourself out of a job to which he replied he would rather do that than take money under false pretenses. An honest man.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies