Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th March 2021, 10:13 AM
Friend

Default Maurice Broomfield

There is a program on TV tonight on Maurice Broomfield (Celebrated 50s/60s Industrial Photographer) which should be good - 6x6 B&W work.

The program is presented by Maurice's son (Nick Broomfield).

My Father and Me

Sat 20/03/21, 9:45 PM, BBC 2.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 20th March 2021, 12:55 PM
Friend

Thanks
Record mode set

Tim
Old 22nd March 2021, 06:29 PM
Friend

It was a fabulous film.

Maurice Broomfield was the man who shot all those beautiful industrial shots you have not doubt seen at times in various magazines.

Apparently, he thought most of his success was due to the way the subject was lit - which was mainly covered my his assistant - who doesn't get much of a mention.

It is a really good program - catch it on I-Player if you can.

There is an exhibition planned of his work at the V&A at some point - which will be worth keeping an eye out for.

Martin
Old 22nd March 2021, 06:50 PM
Administrator

I really enjoyed it. I thought the lighting was very much in 'Hollywood' style? Very different from most of the industrial photography I have seen.
Old 22nd March 2021, 07:07 PM
Friend

I caught this by accident, having missed the mention here. It was very good. The photographs reminded me of some of the work being done in America in the early 20th Century. I have a book about Clarence White, and his school, and the examples were quite like some of the images in that book. Well worth a look if you didn’t catch it.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:14 PM
Friend

A truly great photographer and a wonderful homage from son to father.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 23rd March 2021, 07:47 AM
Friend

Found it on iplayer last night and really enjoyed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23rd March 2021, 09:38 AM
Friend

Good to hear those who tuned in enjoyed the program. We also thoroughly enjoyed it and there was a lot to take in I feel. So much so we shall probably re-watch it in about 6 weeks time.

Neil

Neil Souch
Old 23rd March 2021, 12:43 PM
Friend

I enjoyed the documentry, his stage lit scenes look very clinical, some more than others. I worked for British Steel in the seventies and spent a fair bit of my time in foundries, Bloomfield's photographs don't capture the heat, sweat and grime enough for me. I guess that companies employed him to promote their industries/products and not depict the factories
as places of monotonous repetitive labour. I was more interested in the family relationships, growing up in those days was tough, the dad and son thing of being best mates was not anything I witnessed.All and all a good program about the work of a photographer and his home life and family relationships. One up on the usual garbage put out on terrestrial TV.
Old 23rd March 2021, 08:22 PM
Friend

It was a film that was well worth watching, thanks Neil. and one in which there were no flat spots. It held my interest all of the time.

It covered the man and his place as a person in the universe and eras he inhabited as well as his photography

Just a couple of geeky bits now: What might have been the smell from negs and what did the museum have to do to restore the negs? I wasn't clear on this

Secondly I presume that the watermill residence was sold and they were there by permission of the owners or did he keep it going and eventually his son moved in while he lived in his second wife's house which seemed to be quite close?

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies