Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th February 2011, 09:31 AM
Friend

Default split grade printing

I was wondering about split grade printing. Suppose I want to print most of the image at grade 3 but the sky at grade 4. Do I print the whole image first and then burn in the sky using grade 4, or mask the sky, print at 3 then expose the sky?

Hope this makes sense

Thanks
Old 18th February 2011, 10:14 AM
Friend

We have an article about Split-grade printing HERE that may be of help in answering your question.
Old 18th February 2011, 12:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Marsh View Post
Suppose I want to print most of the image at grade 3 but the sky at grade 4. Do I print the whole image first and then burn in the sky using grade 4, or mask the sky, print at 3 then expose the sky?
Maybe.

It depends on the negative and what you need to do with that image. Burning or exposing a section of an image at a different grade is common and could be done either way you mention or a combination. It all depends. I know that is not an "answer", but there are too many variables not given in your question.

Also, do read Les McLean's article on split-grade printing. It describes a technique that is not what you are asking about, but it might be another alternative to what you could do with a problem negative.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies