Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th July 2010, 08:42 PM
Friend

Default Timers

Hey,
I'm looking for some help with timers for my darkroom. I'm just setting my own up at the moment, and I haven't got the instruction manual for my enlarger. It's my first darkroom of my own.
I have a JOBO c7700. Can a timer be connected to it? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th July 2010, 10:35 PM
Friend

It's the same as an LPL 7700 which may be a better google search.
Yes, you can connect a timer - you'll see two sockets on the transformer, or a mains lead and a socket, you should be able to work out what to connect to what.
Did you not get a timer with the enlarger?
Old 12th July 2010, 07:49 AM
Friend

Most enlarger timers simply switch the mains power on and off, so you plug the timer into the wall socket and plug the enlarger into the timer's output. Your Jobo/LPL 7700 will work fine that way. Assuming your enlarger has the colour or VC head, you will need a transformer - hopefully that came with your kit (it's a heavy black box with a switch on the front). That goes between the timer and the enlarger itself and converts 240v mains to the 12v that the lamp requires.

I can recommend a good timer but you may want something a bit simpler if you're just starting out.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 12th July 2010, 09:36 AM
Friend

Thanks for the help! Yeah it did come with a transformer.
I have used darkroom equipment before when I took my A levels, but that was all set up for me and was about 5 year ago, so I think I'll have to read up again just incase. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to catch up once I get started. But I'm looking forward to learning about chemicals etc. I've got some to start up with.

I'm looking for something a bit cheaper than that. I can probably stretch to about £100 but thats at the max at the minute. I could get something better, but I haven't got much money until I get my next Student Loan and I don't think I can wait that long!
Old 12th July 2010, 10:06 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLina View Post
Thanks for the help! Yeah it did come with a transformer.
I have used darkroom equipment before when I took my A levels, but that was all set up for me and was about 5 year ago, so I think I'll have to read up again just incase. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to catch up once I get started. But I'm looking forward to learning about chemicals etc. I've got some to start up with.

I'm looking for something a bit cheaper than that. I can probably stretch to about £100 but thats at the max at the minute. I could get something better, but I haven't got much money until I get my next Student Loan and I don't think I can wait that long!
Whilst a good timer, such as those Richard sells, make printing very much more enjoyable, it is possible to print by counting or using a ticking clock to measure the elapsed time. I started that way until I could afford to buy a timer from Richards company. It's easier if you use small apertures to get longer exposure times as there is a bigger margin for error.
Old 12th July 2010, 10:51 AM
Friend

Oh thanks Dave, I might just do that for now and save up for one of Richards. I would rather do that and and get a good one!
Old 12th July 2010, 10:59 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
it is possible to print by counting or using a ticking clock to measure the elapsed time. I started that way until I could afford to buy a timer from Richards company.
I started that way too actually

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 12th July 2010, 12:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLina View Post
Oh thanks Dave, I might just do that for now and save up for one of Richards. I would rather do that and and get a good one!
Here's a link to an earlier thread on the subject that may be of interest.
Old 12th July 2010, 12:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Whilst a good timer, such as those Richard sells, make printing very much more enjoyable, it is possible to print by counting or using a ticking clock to measure the elapsed time. I started that way until I could afford to buy a timer from Richards company. It's easier if you use small apertures to get longer exposure times as there is a bigger margin for error.
I counted Elephants for years
Old 12th July 2010, 01:22 PM
Friend

Haha, I'll do that =] The other problem I seem to have is that I haven't got a safelight filter thingy for the enlarger. Techie speak I know!
Can you buy these separately or is there any way I can make one?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies