Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th May 2017, 04:28 PM
Friend

Thumbs down Olympus OM10 Issue

I currently own two Olympus OM10's and up until now I must have shot 50+ films between the two of them and have never had any issues...

This Sunday I had a shoot and just had the one camera with me. After I loaded the first film I made sure the rewind crank had tension and for about half the roll (I think the first 14 frames) everything felt normal and I could see that as I wound on the film advance lever per photo the rewind crank was winding on too with no issues. After I had got this far I noticed the tension felt a bit weird and all of a sudden it was as if the film had become slightly loose and as I was winding on with the film advance lever the rewind crank was no longer doing anything, it was as if I was just taking multiple exposures rather than being able to wind the film on. I tried tightening the tension of the film with the rewind crank but still it only occasionally caught the film when I wound on, probably 1 of 5 times at best. I didn't really know what to do at this point because obviously if I opened the back of the camera I would have ruined the last frames I took so in the end I decided to rewind the whole film and load a new one. That day I shot 7 films and the problem happened twice...

I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything like this before?

Hoping to find a way to fix it :/

Thanks in advance,
Joe
Old 11th May 2017, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Hi Joe.

Sorry, can't help other than ask if the film counter advanced when you wound on in which case it may be an issue with the feed spool or mechanism. Perhaps something as simple as the reel slipping off the tabs used to hold the spool in place - perhaps something more mechanically serious :-(. Alternately the film notches may not be mating properly with the take-up gears.

If no one has any previous experience, you may have to sacrifice a roll so you can open the back when it happens to see what's happening.

Welcome to the forum BTW!

Cheers, Bob.
Old 11th May 2017, 11:45 PM
Friend

It sounds like the rewind spindle is loose, or damaged so that it is slipping. If you open the empty camera, you could grip the bit that connects to the film canister and turn the crank to see if there is any play. One way of tightening these if it is loose is to put a screwdriver into the spindle to stop it turning, and then tighten by turning the crank. This works on cameras where the top bit with the crank screws onto the spindle. Be very careful, however, and check first to see if you can ascertain how it fits together. If you're unsure, don't attempt anything until you get more information/advice. A google search for OM10 rewind repairs might get you something. There's loads online about the OM1.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12th May 2017, 06:46 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

I'm not sure that it is the rewind mechanism that is the problem. It seems more likely to be the clutch mechanism of the wind on lever is slipping. To test that you need to hold the take up spool that the film winds on to and then operate the wind on lever. If that shows signs of slipping then there are 2 things, the clutch slipping or the gears are loose and jumping out of mesh temporarily.

I think it is a case of opening the back and seeing if it all works by putting light pressure on the take up spool and the toothed spindle to see what happens. The other thing to check is whether the rewind button has not been accidentally operated as this would release the clutch and disengage the wind on.

Bill

Last edited by Bill; 12th May 2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 13th May 2017, 11:22 AM
Friend

Default -

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the responses.

Bob - I did notice the film counter was still advancing, this is why when I saw the rewind crank wasn't moving I got worried. If I'm honest I think it is literally something as simple as the reel slipping off the tabs, it definitely sounded as if the film was occasionally being caught by the tabs still which implied to me that the film had become loose. It's a shame the images that day were so important otherwise I would have opened the back and seen what was going on. If it happens again I will definitely open up the camera and have a snoop.

Bill & Alex - Thanks for your input, when I've got a minute I will look further into the rewind/clutch mechanism repairs. I've never actually opened up one of my cameras before so it will be interesting to see how that goes, hopefully I can find a way to sort this problem out

Something that worries me is because the camera worked perfectly fine more often than not, maybe the problem in the camera will not be that noticeable. I definitely won't be taking just the one camera to a shoot again...

Thanks again, it's really interesting to hear your thoughts and advice.

All the best,
Joe
Old 14th May 2017, 10:12 AM
Friend

Default OM10 wind/rewind

I do not think that the camera has a clutch, the wind on is controlled by gears not a clutch and it may be one or more of the gear teeth have been stripped off the cogs.

The rewinding is allowed by pressing or releasing some sort of button or switch on the exterior of the camera which disengages the gear teeth by pusing one of the gears out of alignment, so allowing the rewind to be operated. The 1st time the wind on lever is operated this re-engages the teeth of all the gears. A clutch by definition is two non slipping surfaces pressed hard together. Apart from a device called a 'dog-clutch' where there is one coarse tooth which engages with a recess in an adjoining part of the mechanism - in fact a very coarse gear tooth. If the OM10 has one (which I doubt) it will be very much stronger and robust that the teeth of the actual gears.

There is no mechanical or other link to the rewind knob or handle apart from the film. When we see it rotate during film winding, it is the film being pulled through from the cassette and the central spool in the cassette is engaged by the two 'teeth' for want of a better word on the underside of the rewind knob which causes it to rotate. Only very very rarely does this cause any problems.

If the film counter continues to add up/count down and the shutter to cock, with every exposure, but the film does not advance then it is a fault within the wind-on gears which is either one of three possible circumstances. The teeth on one or both cogs have stripped or for some reason have become disengaged or the rewind has not engaged fully after the last film was rewound..

Probably it could be repaired but would more than likely cost more than a replacement OM10. You have little to loose, open it up and let us know what you find.

Last edited by John King; 14th May 2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 14th May 2017, 08:53 PM
Friend

All 35mm cameras have some sort of clutch to allow for the varying rate of rotation of the take up spool that is required as the film builds up on the spool.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Old 15th May 2017, 06:00 AM
Friend

Tried to edit my previous post but seems there's no edit function in this forum.

Although there will be a clutch on the take up spool, John is correct in that it's the sprockets that control the film advance and they will be geared. It could be the rewind release is releasing itself if it's gummed up and not engaging properly in the first place (check to see if the release button pops fully out) or it could be the film becoming disengaged from the sprocket and the most likely cause of that is the clutch slipping causing the film to become loose on the take up spool.

Best way to find out is use a test film and run it through with the back open. It might take a few goes for it to happen but it's the only way to be sure.

Tags
35mm, camera, issue, olympus, om10
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies