Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th December 2018, 03:00 PM
Friend

Default Bergger Pancro400

I have just bought a couple of rolls (120) of this and wonder whether anyone else here has used it. If so, is it best at box speed or maybe down a little at 250 or 320? I have read the mini-introduction on the carton and know to pre-soak it and also to give a longer fix.
Old 19th December 2018, 05:35 PM
Friend

I haven't used Bergger films and hopefully there are some users here but just in case there aren't, I did a quick check on The Massive Development chart and over a range of developers such as Xtol, ID11 Rodinal and Microphen all the times were for box speed or higher which suggests that there may be no need to consider its use at lower speeds

There is a wide spectrum of opinions on the reliability of MDC times but by and large I think they are reasonably reliable. If there is not a range of developers in the Bergger Panchro instructions which covers what you have got, then try the MDC to see it it covers your developer

Mike
Old 19th December 2018, 08:47 PM
Friend

I tried a couple of rolls (120 and 35mm) a few months ago. I developed them in ID11 according to MDC, and I'm afraid I couldn't find much to recommend it. Possibly the recommendation to use Bergger's own developer is a prerequisite to getting good results. I found it objectionably grainy, nowhere near as nice as HP5.
Old 19th December 2018, 10:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundH View Post
I tried a couple of rolls (120 and 35mm) a few months ago. I developed them in ID11 according to MDC, and I'm afraid I couldn't find much to recommend it. Possibly the recommendation to use Bergger's own developer is a prerequisite to getting good results. I found it objectionably grainy, nowhere near as nice as HP5.
Thank you, Edmund: that is a helpful reply. As it happens, ID11 isn't listed on Bergger's carton; but HC-110 and Rodinal both are and I'll give the latter (1:25) a try first. Better be box speed at first, too.
Old 20th December 2018, 12:13 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundH View Post
I tried a couple of rolls (120 and 35mm) a few months ago. I found it objectionably grainy, nowhere near as nice as HP5.
As some one who quite likes grain, is there any chance of a snapshot of either one of the negs or prints Edmund. You have peeked my curiosity.

Terry S
Old 21st December 2018, 11:05 AM
Friend

Terry if you like grain have you tried agfa apx 400 film it is very grainy but also very sharp ,I have not tried there apx 100 film ,but the 400 has defiantly got its own look …

www.essexcockney.com
Old 21st December 2018, 11:40 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
Terry if you like grain have you tried agfa apx 400 film it is very grainy but also very sharp ,I have not tried there apx 100 film ,but the 400 has defiantly got its own look …
Thanks for that info Paul. I have used Ilford's 3200 film, which I like, but I will order a roll or two of the above film to compare the two.

Terry S

PS Just browsing for the best price, AG have this on their listing for the film, so I think I will follow their advice as Kentmere is listed much cheaper all round.:

AGFA Photo Black & White Film

Two black and white films are offered under the Agfa Photo brand - APX100 and APX400. They are NOT the same as the original APX films being sold before Agfa closed down in 2005 - they are re-branded products and, as far as we can see, identical to Kentmere 100 and 400 and also made by Ilford. As such we have decided to offer just the Kentmere films as we obtain these direct from the factory.

Terry S

Last edited by Terry S; 21st December 2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 21st December 2018, 02:13 PM
Friend

I have used both ,and agfa APX is completely different from kentmere as far as I can see ,I didn't like kentmere film at all ,if you have the time try both side by side and see what you think ,also Ilford have said they don't rebrand there film ,so how can they be identical ?..
Old 6th May 2019, 10:30 PM
Friend

Just to update a little. I rated the first film at 400 and developed it in Rodinal (8', 1:25). The results were low key and rather grainy, very unattractive. So I rated the second film at 320 and developed in HC-110 (9', 1:32). High key this time and grainier than I like. Both those developers and times are as recommended by Bergger.

Those were both 120. 135 was unobtainable for a while but finally came back in stock with FirstCall. I forked out their absurd postal charge - over £14 - and bought four rolls. I put the first one through my old Leica and am pretty delighted with it. Box speed, 9' in Ilfotec HC 1:32 (treating that developer as a match for HC-110).

The data sheet (see here) suggests, inter alia, that using water rather than a stop bath allows extra shadow detail to develop; so I tried that and it worked for me. I also followed the other steps recommended in the data sheet, which I hadn't fully observed with the 120.

I really think this film is worth a try. I have another roll now in a different camera which I'll run through to establish (I hope!) that it wasn't a fluke.

The film is available from an Irish supplier; so I'll be going there in future (they also have a film photography magazine from Dublin called The fix which I'll give a go).
Old 7th May 2019, 11:53 AM
Friend

Angry

[B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Those were both 120. 135 was unobtainable for a while but finally came back in stock with FirstCall. I forked out their absurd postal charge - over £14 - and bought four rolls.
Blimey, you made me splutter in my lunchtime coffee there Michael.

Over 14 pounds for postage?!?!?!

I hope you got more than just the four films to get your moneys worth?

I haven't checked as yet, but I'm sure you could get it somewhere else without such over the top charges???

Terry S

PS I've just done the quickest of searches, but found this being sold as THREE rolls INCLUDING postage, that works out much cheaper surely?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/123752631111?chn=ps

PS PS I'm prsuming that this is a very different and good film, having just read the technical page on the link given.

Just the environment friendly wash cycle is totally different to the one that I've been using for years...

Washing
BERGGER recommands the following washing sequence, which is efficient and
environment friendly.

A rinse in a sulphite bath (10 %) will allow to eliminate the chemicals complexes
resulting from fix bath, and also allow the full dissolution of the anti-halation
layer.

10 washes in clear water, every ten minutes will allow to eliminate all chemical
residue remaining in the gelatin.

Final rinse in demineralized water, with wetting agent at the concentration of
1+200.

Last edited by Terry S; 7th May 2019 at 12:03 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies