Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st October 2020, 01:33 PM
Friend

Default Ilford Price Increase 6% October 16th

Ilford it would appear has given the following announcement to a Photrio member who contacted it

Unfortunately I've got an official answer directly from Ilford:

"Hi Alessandro. Yes, unfortunately we have had to implement a global price rise on film and paper to our distributors. This was due to a big increase in our costs, in particular raw material costs, resulting from the pandemic. We are absorbing as much of these costs as possible, but as difficult as we know it will be we have little choice but to increase prices at this time. We can't comment on how much of an increase our distributors and reseller will choose to pass on ."

This came about as a two liner on Nik and Trick's facebook page

It would appear that the price of Ilford chemistry is unaffected at this time as film and paper have been singled out for a mention and the words chemistry or chemical products have not been used. That however is my interpretation from the wording of the announcement

I should just add that I have no reason to believe that the Photrio member has made any of this up

Mike
Old 1st October 2020, 10:29 PM
Friend

I also read that ,so when I put in my order for film I bought a bit more film ,now I am ok for paper film chemicals well into next year
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:25 PM
Friend

I find it interesting / confusing, that there is no official mention on Ilford's website (which I've just looked at), about any future price increase.

The only two things that this assumption is based on is:

1. A small UK trader making a two line mention on their Facebook page, suggesting a 6% rise in costs. Surprisingly, this was put on their site on 19 September 2020, but only found and shared on Photrio yesterday, 01 October 2020. This period of time gives other retailers long enough to make an announcement, but so far no one has found one to pass on.

2. A Photrio member quoting a - small part of? - an email reply that they supposedly got from Ilford.

I'm sure there could well be an increase in the pipeline, sometime, but why would Ilford let (some or all?) retailers to be the only ones to know? Why wouldn't they announce it on their website etc. for all their customers to read?

I will only be satisfied when I officially read it on the above and the word comes from Ilford directly.

Just these messages going around will definitely cause a sales rush, before the (supposed) price increase, which would cheer up retailers, I'm sure, in these rocky times.

For anyone who is unsure where these announcements are being made, here are the two links:

https://www.facebook.com/NTPhotoServ...63218713709311

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...he-way.178427/

Terry S

Last edited by Terry S; 2nd October 2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:07 PM
Friend

Yes Terry, like you I tend to take these sort of ''rumours'' with a very big pinch of salt, I have also looked on the Ilford website and can find no mention of this price hike, and until it is announced officially I say wait and see what happens, First I heard of it was, like you, on Phototrio, and the number of rumours that have happened there that have proved untrue is a lot, so until Ilford announces a price rise then I will wait and see, as it happens I stocked up on MG5 paper last month, I have plenty of Classic and art 300 for a while, this before any rumours, and I do expect a price hike after the problems connected with Covid this year, , but until an official announcement lets wait and see
Richard
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:51 PM
Friend

I appreciate your views and I admit I am puzzled as to why there is no announcement on its site but unless this person Alessandro is making it all up and this seems unlikely then surely IlfordPhoto realised that once it had replied to Alessandro the announcement would be in the public domain

Mike
Old 2nd October 2020, 02:17 PM
Friend

Speed Graphic sent me an email today which, amongst other things, mentions the Ilford price increase.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 2nd October 2020, 04:00 PM
Friend

I don't mind this price increase too much, it is only a small increase, and we should expect it given all that has happened this year, with the closure and everything, and personally I would rather pay a bit more to be able to use Ilford paper, which is some of the best you can get
Richard
Old 2nd October 2020, 05:03 PM
Friend

Ditto to what Alex said.
Old 2nd October 2020, 07:31 PM
Friend

https://kosmofoto.com/2020/04/harman...emical-prices/

Kosmofoto say Ilford are informing the trade of the price rises.
See the link above.

Cheers.

Edit.. Sorry not informing the trade, just making an announcement.
Old 2nd October 2020, 07:57 PM
Friend

I think the explanation covering why there is nothing about the price increase on its site is tied in with the last sentence of reply to Alessandro. It is an announcement to its distributors and resellers not to its direct customers about whom it cannot comment in terms of what if any of the increase each reseller chooses to pass on to its customers.

However as Ilford does have direct user-customers such as you and I, then presumably it may or may not chose much closer to the date of increase to tell direct user-customers.

Speculation again on my part but it may want to give its resellers time to decide what to do and then at some point before the 16th October announce its rise to its direct user-customers which has to be 6% minimum, surely, otherwise it is actively discriminating in favour of its direct user-customer and I cannot see it doing that

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies