Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Sale or Wanted

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th December 2019, 09:37 AM
Friend

Default Canon Sure Shot A1 for sale

Great camera for street photography, see the attached link for more info, good battery, £35 + £2.50 postage, payment via PayPal preferred, send private message if interested.

http://www.gagefletcher.com/blog/201...n-sure-shot-a1
Old 30th December 2019, 01:09 PM
Friend

I have one of these cameras and have used it many times over the decades that I've had it. It's done street photography, as well as in and under the sea photos in the UK, Spain, Iceland and Thailand, amongst other places.

It's a very well built camera, that's made to last, and worries not if caught in rain or snow or other weather conditions where you might think twice about taking your usual camera.

And personally, I like the feel and look of it, and quietly object to the linked reviewer's description, of it being a '...horrifically ugly Canon Sure Shot A1'. It's far from it!

I would vouch of it being a great camera that will become a well used camera in anyone's collection.

Terry S
Old 30th December 2019, 02:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
It's done street photography, as well as in and under the sea photos in the UK, Spain, Iceland and Thailand, amongst other places.

Terry S
Terry, I think that's the one my Dad had and he certainly liked it. It's now with my son so I cannot immediately examine it but I never thought it was waterproof to that extent or was it in some kind of tailor-made waterproof housing when under water?

Thanks

Mike
Old 30th December 2019, 03:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
,,,but I never thought it was waterproof to that extent or was it in some kind of tailor-made waterproof housing when under water?

Thanks

Mike
The camera is 'as is' in the review link picture i.e. no other housing is required. The camera is waterproof out of the box it's sold in.

I don't know what the life of the seals on the camera are, but mine are still fine after all these years.

I think it is listed as being waterproof down to 5 metres (?), but mine has definitely been taken deeper whilst diving, with no bad effects to the camera.

Terry S
Old 30th December 2019, 03:30 PM
Friend

Thanks Terry I 'll have to look at the instructions which I think I have still got to see what they say about my Dad's Canon Sureshot. I am wondering now if it is a Sureshot of which I am certain but not A1. Maybe there were Sureshots that were not waterproof to the extent of being usable under waters?

Mike
Old 30th December 2019, 04:58 PM
Friend

The camera Fred Herzog is using in the Video is the non waterproof version of the Sure Shot A1 (WP-1)

"If you’re still not convinced about this camera, below is a video (not my video) of Fred Herzog, a pioneer of colour street photography shooting on the Canon Sure Shot WP-1 (the non-waterproof cousin of the A1) on the streets of Vancouver"
Old 31st December 2019, 01:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanannan View Post
The camera Fred Herzog is using in the Video is the non waterproof version of the Sure Shot A1 (WP-1)

"If you’re still not convinced about this camera, below is a video (not my video) of Fred Herzog, a pioneer of colour street photography shooting on the Canon Sure Shot WP-1 (the non-waterproof cousin of the A1) on the streets of Vancouver"
I'm not convinced that the camera that he uses is a NON waterproof version of the Sure Shot A1 and I'm not even sure if such a model exists. It looks exactly like mine. And freeze framing parts of the video, it has the 'fish symbol' on the dial, which confirms it to me.

Also, it's a bit confusing, for as someone points out in a review, that their instruction book states, '...the manual for the WP-1 specifically warns “this is not an underwater camera.” Wait, what? The manual for the A-1, however, notes that the camera is waterproof to a depth of 5 meters (16.4 feet)'.

I still have my manual (somewhere), so will check to see what it says if it turns up, but as I've said, I've used it numerous times underwater, for good lengths of time.

It is just a great little point and shoot that doesn't mind any weather, above or below water.

Terry S
Old 31st December 2019, 02:55 PM
Friend

Default Canon Sure Shot A1 for sale

The great feature of these cameras is the massive viewfinder. Many 35mm compacts have good lenses, but terrible viewfinders. My wife uses a non-waterproof Canon similar to the one shown. I can’t remember what it’s called, but it produces good negatives.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 31st December 2019, 05:13 PM
Friend

A piece of Hogmanay trivia now - I have solved my Sureshot query. No wonder I couldn't recall anything about it being waterproof: it is the Sureshot Supreme

A great camera but reading the instructions it isn't in fact as safe as the Olympus mjuII in the wet.

Sorry about this. Reminds me of the kind of query where the OP gets a totally blank film after processing- not even edge markings. He is sure he did nothing wrong except several days later he admits to the small matter of distractedly placing the fixer graduate next to the tank, having a tea break then automatically pouring the nearest graduate to the tank into the tank first

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies