Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th April 2013, 01:46 AM
Friend

Default Nova print processors:

My darkroom working area is a little cramped to say the least (even for B&W) and I am begining to wonder if a Nova might be the answer to this problem. I don't usually go larger than A4 size prints, but may want to in the future. I may also want to do colour in the future also and guess that means at least a four bath version.

I am keen to hear readers experiences of these and hopefully that someone may have a user instruction manual to enable me to read more about their use.

Thanks.
Old 16th April 2013, 04:16 AM
Friend

Hi Alan
I have a Nova 16 x 12 fibre print processor the one with the sloping slots, I use it for RC as well as FB and it is an invaluable piece of equipment that not only saves me space but because the chemicals can be left in for a reasonable time saves time and money. I only use it for B & W so don't need to heat it unless the temp falls lower than 20 deg in the darkroom. I purchased the 16 x12 for the same reason you suggest for future proofing even though I only print 8x10. It is very easy to use and only takes a short time of getting used to working with it, I wouldn't be without it now. I have instructions that I could scan and pm to you if you wish please let me know by pm. Hope this helps.
Regards
Richard
Old 16th April 2013, 06:29 AM
Friend

Hi Alan,

I have three heated Nova processors 2x 8"x10" dual slot and 1x 12"x16" triple slot. I typically use the 2x 8x10s together for RC mono prints at 21° C, Dev (2mins), Stop (45 secs), Fix (2.5 mins) and water dunk (few secs) before washing in a print washer for 3-4 minutes. Any larger prints and I use the 12"x16" version (rarely use this though).

I picked up the 2x 8"x10"s for about £50 each including delivery and the 12"x16" in mint slightly used condition for £100 including delivery on ebay, you just need to keep a look out for them.

What I like about them is a) they have a small footprint (both 8x10s fit comfortably inside a 16"x20"tray), b) the temperature of the chemicals is stabilised and therefore unlikely to give rise to processing issues, c) they can be left for a few days with their floating lids on and are ready to go at short notice and d) they do reduce the temptation to pull the print out early if it looks like it is going to be too dark (as can be the case when tray processing), the 8x10s also take just 1 litre of chemicals in each slot so quite economical to use.
Old 16th April 2013, 06:34 AM
Friend

You don't need a 4 bath to do colour. A Trimate 3 bath is all you want. slots for RA4 dev, stop and blix. then take the print elsewhere to be washed. Be aware if you use the same processor for B&W as RA4 it will become a real pain to have to keep draining the whole processor when you want to change over. The Stop and blix are pretty stable and will accept a little contamination but the RA4 developer certainly isn't and will have to be properly rinsed out when you need to swap over.
Then there is the weight. The three chemical baths can be drained in-situ, but the water jackets of a 12x16 which is what you will need for A4 prints contain approx 4 litres of water each. They are heavy to lift about (approx 16 pounds) and a regular movement can cause leaks to form internally - I know! It's happened to me. Internal leaks cannot be repaired easily and certainly not by the user
Old 5th April 2021, 01:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
You don't need a 4 bath to do colour. A Trimate 3 bath is all you want. slots for RA4 dev, stop and blix. then take the print elsewhere to be washed. Be aware if you use the same processor for B&W as RA4 it will become a real pain to have to keep draining the whole processor when you want to change over. The Stop and blix are pretty stable and will accept a little contamination but the RA4 developer certainly isn't and will have to be properly rinsed out when you need to swap over.
Then there is the weight. The three chemical baths can be drained in-situ, but the water jackets of a 12x16 which is what you will need for A4 prints contain approx 4 litres of water each. They are heavy to lift about (approx 16 pounds) and a regular movement can cause leaks to form internally - I know! It's happened to me. Internal leaks cannot be repaired easily and certainly not by the user
Hi John,

Thanks for all the useful information in advance.

One thing I'm wondering as I've been trawling through threads about the nova processor is if you are doing your washing in a separate tank or tray, then does the nova processor with dev, stop, rinse (optional as I have a 4 tray on the way), and blix taking up the four slots require a flow of water or can it be stagnant and topped up accordingly after each print session?

The reason I ask is that I saw in the nova manual that you can attach a tap, and I assumed that this would mean some people are doing the washing stage within the processor, maybe with black and white for example where temperature isn't so precise. Not needing a running water supply will remove limitations of where I can set up to print, as once the paper is no longer light sensitive I can just take the print to a separate room with a water supply to rinse / dry and this would be a lot more convenient in my case.

Prior to this I've always printed in labs with large processing machines, however I look forward to a more personal set up at home Any info will be hugely appreciated.

All the best,
Joe
Old 16th April 2013, 11:29 AM
Friend

Alan there really isn't much more to be said beyond the posts above. My advice would be to go for it. I have never regretted it and I'd be surprised if you will either.

Mike
Old 16th April 2013, 12:45 PM
Friend

16x12 Nova quad here. Love it. I use the 4th slot for a quick dunk after the fixer, or temporary holding tank if I need to clean up any mess before the wife sees it. I know leaving the print in the fixer for a few minutes shouldn't be a massive problem (I'm using Ilford Multigrade RC paper mostly), but I'd rather just keep it sitting in fresh water until I'm ready to wash it properly.

Smaller footprint than your standard Epson all-in-one inkjet printer, so it's great if you're working in a limited space, or just want to run a quick print or six off, without having to get the trays out.

I don't regret getting it for an instant.
Old 16th April 2013, 10:06 PM
Friend

Thumbs up from me too!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 16th April 2013, 10:23 PM
Friend

I have a Nova 12x16 "Chrome" model: 4 slots, with slot 2 being running water rinse. I use it only for black and white. I used to use water instead of acid stop, but now I've blocked the overflow on slot 2 and I use acid stop. It came with a separate slot 5 which is running water rinse.

I also picked up a 2 slot unit which I use for rinse aid before my Summitek vertical washer.

I find 12x16 a good size, though most of my prints are 8x10.

My darkroom is tiny. I wouldn't be able to do what I do without the Nova units. The small surface area keeps chemicals fresh for much longer.
Old 17th April 2013, 03:33 AM
Friend

Default Nova print processer:

Thanks for all your replies.

I am now convinced that I should have one and are now actively looking for a 16x12 as Richard mentions. I do have a Mamiya 645 as well as my 35mm gear and there is a good chance I will want to bigger than A4. I am now looking forward to reading up more on how to use it.

Thanks again.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies