Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th February 2014, 12:37 PM
Friend

Welcome, Andrew.

I'm also interested in Marty's question...
Old 18th February 2014, 01:04 PM
Friend

Hi and welcome Andrew.

Like you I am studying photography. I am on my second year of a BA in Southend as a mature student, at the ripe (young) age of 52 being 53 this Sunday.

As for the question asked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Just curious and not wanting to get into a debate, but how much attention is given to film/analogue photography in higher education courses these days?

It doesn't seem that long ago that I was studying, 25 years back, and there was no digital then.
Where does the time go Marty? The last 25 years have just whizzed by.

In my first year at Uni, where all of the media based students did the same mixed timetable of work, we had to do both a digital project and a film based one. Most people came a bit unstuck with the film one, as a lot of them had never used it before(!) and resorted to the High Street processor to do all of the d and p.

This second year, when we have all started on our various disciplines, mine being photography, film has been touched upon regularly and it's constantly suggested and we are reminded that there is more out there than just digital.

In fact, for the past two weeks, the timetable was changed to pure film taking and developing and printing in the darkroom, as the majority of the students had so little knowledge in the whole process of film.

I'm not sure, but they have all just about come through the ranks of A level in photography etc, so I would be surprised that they weren't taught about it then. But, as we all know it's a constant learning process and not just an hour here and there that is required to become relatively happy with the whole subject.

As an example, despite decades on and off taking, processing and printing I've had a problem the last week or so.

I put an ISO 400 Rollei film without the bar code type markings, into my 35mm Pentax MZ5N. Now this range of camera tries to read the bar markings, but if there aren't any, it resorts to ISO 100 unless you set otherwise.

Well, I totally forgot about this as I haven't been using this camera for a while.

On top of 2 stops over exposure, most of the exposures were taken around the midday period, on a very sunny day recently, with lots of light tones and even the sun occasionally in shot, making quite dense negs.

To say it's been hard to TRY and make a decent print from these negs is putting it mildly! After a long stretch in the darkroom yesterday, I've come to the conclusion that there are no real first class pictures on the roll, so I'm moving onto the next one having learnt a lesson or two.

Terry S
Old 18th February 2014, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Welcome to fadu Andrew.
Old 18th February 2014, 10:40 PM
Friend

Thanks Terry, we're never too old to learn!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 19th February 2014, 06:18 PM
Friend

Hi Andrew and welcome to FADU

Ian
Old 20th February 2014, 11:38 AM
Friend

hi Andrew and welcome to fadu .hope it goes well for you on your course and hope you enjoy it here ...

www.essexcockney.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies