Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th April 2016, 04:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
HP5 Plus has been a favourite of mine for years, although I have been trying a few others lately like Delta, T-Max, Tri-X, as well as some from Adox and Foma. I have also been trying Xtol developer along with some liquid developers.

Sometimes it can be interesting to experiment with other films and processes.
just used a roll of film from fomapan, hate the stuff, only 23 exposures on the thing too!!! think the other 4 are going to be for emergency use only haha

T-max i like especially in 120 format, got a nice look from it
Old 5th April 2016, 05:33 PM
Friend

Fomapan 400 is my all time favorite film,followed closely by the 200, I never use anything else, and far prefer the results fron Fomapan to HP5. Why not try a roll or two.Tom, it is half the price of HP5, and I always get 2 or 3 extra exposures from 35mm
Richard
Old 7th April 2016, 09:52 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycmcr View Post
just used a roll of film from fomapan, hate the stuff, only 23 exposures on the thing too!!! think the other 4 are going to be for emergency use only haha

T-max i like especially in 120 format, got a nice look from it
While I have been experimenting with different films lately, I just like the look of FP4+ and HP5+ best. I'm not too keen on Pan F+ or RPX 25 though.

The Adox, Foma and Rollei films wont replace the Ilford films for me. I do like Kodak T-Max 400 and Tri-X though and the Ilford Delta films are good too. This is just my own personal preference though and there is nothing bad about the other films I mentioned.
Old 7th April 2016, 02:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
While I have been experimenting with different films lately, I just like the look of FP4+ and HP5+ best. I'm not too keen on Pan F+ or RPX 25 though.

The Adox, Foma and Rollei films wont replace the Ilford films for me. I do like Kodak T-Max 400 and Tri-X though and the Ilford Delta films are good too. This is just my own personal preference though and there is nothing bad about the other films I mentioned.
HP5 is great when you rate it at 100ISO or 200ISO

delta is good if you go down a stop with it too.... saying that im having to use some delta 3200 on sat night, going back to the old school and shooting a gig on film!

also kentmere films are quite user friendly
Old 9th April 2016, 06:25 AM
Friend

Fomapan 100 is attractively priced for 5x4 though.
Old 9th April 2016, 07:09 AM
Friend

I stopped using HP5 many years ago when XP1 was released as I found it far better for push processing as was XP2.

About 8 years ago I used a roll of HP5 in my 617 camera while in Peru after running out of Tmax 400 but found I proffered the Tmax. Because of availability issues while living abroad (very hard to find Kodak B&W films) I switched to Delta 100 & 400. I found Ilford and surprisingly Foma films very much easier to find and in larger quantities.

Because I started shooting 5x4 hand-held while in Turkey & Greece I needed a film faster than Delta 100, there's no Delta 400 in sheet film so I began using HP5. I love the resulting prints and have been using it for about 8.

Now I'm happy shooting HP5 when I need a fast film for LF work but prefer Delta 400 for my 120 work 6x6 & 617.

Ian
Old 9th April 2016, 04:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Because , there's no Delta 400 in sheet film so I began using HP5. Ian
Ian, this was the famous Dave Miller query of many years ago. Others may have asked the question also but it was Dave's name that I recall. FADU didn't even exist and it was an APUG query. He reasonably asked why, given the small apertures required for LF and the very problematical light conditions for a lot of the time in latitudes about say 30 or so, why there was no sheet film in D400

I don't recall seeing any answer from Ilford

Mike
Old 9th April 2016, 04:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Ian, this was the famous Dave Miller query of many years ago. Others may have asked the question also but it was Dave's name that I recall. FADU didn't even exist and it was an APUG query. He reasonably asked why, given the small apertures required for LF and the very problematical light conditions for a lot of the time in latitudes about say 30 or so, why there was no sheet film in D400

I don't recall seeing any answer from Ilford

Mike
It's supply and demand and HP5 is very popular in sheet film sizes, but probably FP4 is their bests selling sheet film. Delta 400 was once available as sheet film but was discontinued around 2001, it was dropped due to lack of demand compare to their other sheet films and it was no longer economic to produce.

I think the question came up on our factory tour and the answer was that Ilford felt that offering Delta 400 in sheet film sizes again would weaken HP5 sales. One problem is that almost all LF photography is done with the camera on a tripod so a high film speed is far less important and demand for 400 ISO LF sheet film is proportionally much lower compared to 35mm & 120.

Ian
Old 9th April 2016, 07:09 PM
Friend

Thanks Ian. Makes sense

Mike
Old 9th April 2016, 08:09 PM
Friend

From what I've seen HP5+ seems quite popular among ULF shooters (that is to say formats bigger than 10x8"). I presume because A. it's very forgiving/robust (at the price-per-sheet of ULF film it needs to be) and B. with those big cameras tiny apertures are often needed for depth of field, and since it's all contact printed they would rather have the speed, since fine grain is largely irrelevant.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies