Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th May 2020, 03:49 PM
Friend

when they came out ,I wanted one but could not afford it ,they were the latest technology camera wise ,and the latest ais lenses worked on them ,also I loved the way they looked and took a cool motordrive as well .have fun ..and stay safe
Old 10th May 2020, 04:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
paddy, I hope this question is considered relevant by the mods. Can you say when you actually bought this camera?. I ask because today on Photrio there is a thread warning about serious postal delays from Japan to the U.S. but is this is an issue only there, or has it affected Japan to U.K.?

Your reply may help anyone else here thinking of buying from Japanese e-bayers in the next few days /weeks

Certainly these days for instance anyone thinking of Pentax MF purchases may have to consider Japanese sellers who do have a good reputation generally

Thanks

Mike
Hi Mike
I have not heard anything about a delay in the post from Japan, i think it will probably be a late few days extra due to the corona pandemic
I bought it off Ebay and it says i should get it between the 15th and 26th of this month
I have bought a few records from Japan in the past and they have come between 1 and 2 weeks
Old 10th May 2020, 04:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
when they came out ,I wanted one but could not afford it ,they were the latest technology camera wise ,and the latest ais lenses worked on them ,also I loved the way they looked and took a cool motordrive as well .have fun ..and stay safe
Thanks Paul
My old FE2 looks like its finished so i bought this to replace it
I will give it a good going over when it arives
Old 10th May 2020, 04:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
Thanks Neil
I imagine i wont have a problem liking the FA, its a Nikon after all
As long as the batteries are ok i wont have a problem

Paddy,

You may like to read what Ken Rockwell has to say about the FA's metering.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/fa.htm

I must say I enjoyed mine along with the other Nikon F's I owned at the time. I also can't remember the batteries being a problem (then).

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 10th May 2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10th May 2020, 05:04 PM
Friend

Hi Paddy. think it was the only non-autofocus Nikon with matrix metering, although the F601M may have matrix. I also wanted one, but couldn’t afford it at the time. Only a small number of the professional autofocus cameras offer matrix metering with manual focus lenses. It’s very good for slides, so should suit the purpose well. I tend not to use it for negative films. I think these advanced metering systems, which appeared towards the end of film camera development, were really biased towards exposure for colour transparency film. It was handy for the manufacturers that digital sensors had broadly similar exposure requirements.
I’m sure the FA will live up to expectations. The problem you describe with the FE2 also affects the FE. I think it can be fixed. It might be worth asking a repairer with Nikon experience to see if it is a recognised issue. It’s a good camera, and would be a shame if it had to be scrapped.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10th May 2020, 05:56 PM
Friend

As well as the auto / matrix metering which will tackle most situations the the FA also offers Shutter priority, Aperture priority and Manual /
exposurefor more creative / user control use.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 10th May 2020, 07:15 PM
Friend

Thanks paddy for the info on the postal situation. It doesn't sound too bad

Mike
Old 10th May 2020, 08:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
Hi Paddy. think it was the only non-autofocus Nikon with matrix metering, although the F601M may have matrix. I also wanted one, but couldn’t afford it at the time. Only a small number of the professional autofocus cameras offer matrix metering with manual focus lenses. It’s very good for slides, so should suit the purpose well. I tend not to use it for negative films. I think these advanced metering systems, which appeared towards the end of film camera development, were really biased towards exposure for colour transparency film. It was handy for the manufacturers that digital sensors had broadly similar exposure requirements.
I’m sure the FA will live up to expectations. The problem you describe with the FE2 also affects the FE. I think it can be fixed. It might be worth asking a repairer with Nikon experience to see if it is a recognised issue. It’s a good camera, and would be a shame if it had to be scrapped.
Alex

Newton and ellis want £125 to service it so that put me off, unless it can be done a lot cheaper somewhere else
Old 10th May 2020, 09:26 PM
Friend

I don’t know of anyone who can do it cheaper, but the price of good film cameras like the FE2 has been rising. You would have trouble finding a good one in a shop now for less than that. It would be worth hanging on to it just in case you decide to have it repaired.
Alex

Old 11th May 2020, 03:11 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I don’t know of anyone who can do it cheaper, but the price of good film cameras like the FE2 has been rising. You would have trouble finding a good one in a shop now for less than that. It would be worth hanging on to it just in case you decide to have it repaired.
Alex

Come to think of it I might get it fixed eventually, it does seem a shame to scrap it even though it’s a bit worn, it was my holiday camera
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies