Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd September 2020, 04:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
Mike what's 5pc amongst friends
Actually quite a lot if you spend a Grand, Paul

Mike
Old 22nd September 2020, 04:57 PM
Friend

Paul,

It's a good dev but I had the HP5+ times issue which sort of spoilt it for me - so I moved on.

I am sure this has been corrected by now but if you are deleveloping HP5+ I would check with Richard in Jersey re the dev time issue.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 22nd September 2020, 06:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
Paul,

It's a good dev but I had the HP5+ times issue which sort of spoilt it for me - so I moved on.

I am sure this has been corrected by now but if you are deleveloping HP5+ I would check with Richard in Jersey re the dev time issue.

Neil.
It was a few years ago that I tried it, bought 5 liters, times were sp far out as to be impossible, and at first I managed to get a reasonable negative, it took a litre to get the timings, which were nearly 200% longer than their times, I phoned their customer helpline, spoke to someone there, promised to Email me back with the correct information, and a few years later I am still waiting for the Email, then to crown it all it didn't keep, within 6 weeks it went black and died on me, so threw 3 1/2 litres away, never again, Fotospeed make some nice chemistry, their WT10 and DV 10 are great paper developers, and I have used their sepia toner a lot over the years, but personally I would not touch their film developer with a barge pole, when you get it right it can be a nice developer, but their instructions leave a lot to be desired, and customer service is abysmal, I stick to Rodinal, and lately I have been using !D11 a lot, as they work beautifully, first time,
I hope you have better luck than I did, maybe I had a bad batch or something, but unless they have revised the instruction's and times then expect very thin or non existent negatives with their times, With some HP5 and Fomapan I didn't even get edge marking, not even a faint mark, just blank length of film, as I increased the times I graduly got a faint image, until, i think, around 30 minutes or more for HP5 and Fomapan both exposed at somewhere around 100 iso,
Richard

Richard
Old 22nd September 2020, 06:26 PM
Friend

[QUOTE=Richard Gould;135665] I graduly got a faint image, until, i think, around 30 minutes or more for HP5 and Fomapan both exposed at somewhere around 100 iso,
Richard

Richard,it is stuff I have never used so cannot speak for it or against it but while not wishing to defend Fotospeed and it may well be that keeping properties are poor as was their customer care but at over 30 mins and a HP5 exposed at two stops over there surely had to have been something wrong with the stuff you received, I'd have thought.

I have cast my eyes over a lot of dev times from various developers and I just cannot recall any that need 30 mins. It'll be interesting to see how it behaves

Mike
Old 22nd September 2020, 08:01 PM
Friend

I agree, something wrong somewhere, and if I could have got some help from Fotospeed, and if it was a faulty batch, but as I am still waiting to find out then I can only draw conclusions from what ai found out for myself, but as I said I have and still do use other fotospeed chemistry, indeed, I recently bought 5 litres of their paper developer, I know from past experience it matches Ilford's multigrade, but keeps well and is cheaper, and their WT10 warm tone developer is one of the best around, so the only problem I have ever had with Fotospeed was with this film developer, and if theuy had bothered to sort the problem out I would not be so critical of this developer, no other problems with them
Richard
Old 22nd September 2020, 08:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
I agree, something wrong somewhere, and if I could have got some help from Fotospeed, and if it was a faulty batch, but as I am still waiting to find out then I can only draw conclusions from what ai found out for myself, but as I said I have and still do use other fotospeed chemistry, indeed, I recently bought 5 litres of their paper developer, I know from past experience it matches Ilford's multigrade, but keeps well and is cheaper, and their WT10 warm tone developer is one of the best around, so the only problem I have ever had with Fotospeed was with this film developer, and if theuy had bothered to sort the problem out I would not be so critical of this developer, no other problems with them
Richard

Richard, I don't use FD10 but Paul has some for developing the XRay film he is trying out. I mentioned the HP5+ time issue, which happened to me some years ago, but once round that it was OK.

I guess with XRay film Paul will be testing for dev times so he should be OK. I didn't keep my FD10 long enough lomg enough to test its keeping potential, or lack of.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 24th September 2020, 12:26 PM
Friend

I’ve used a fair amount of FD10 and it’s an excellent developer. It gave me the best results I’ve had with HP5. It’s even better with Delta 100. Richard’s experience was many years ago and it could have been for various reasons.

If there was a problem with the developer then there would be a lot of stories about it on the web and that’s not the case. In fact, Richard’s problem is about the only one that comes up. There are similar reports about just about every developer from time-to-time and they often go unexplained.

I wrote a bit about FD10 on my blog a while back if anyone is interested.

https://onlinedarkroom.blogspot.com/...-context.html?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24th September 2020, 01:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
I’ve used a fair amount of FD10 and it’s an excellent developer. It gave me the best results I’ve had with HP5. It’s even better with Delta 100. Richard’s experience was many years ago and it could have been for various reasons.

If there was a problem with the developer then there would be a lot of stories about it on the web and that’s not the case. In fact, Richard’s problem is about the only one that comes up. There are similar reports about just about every developer from time-to-time and they often go unexplained.

I wrote a bit about FD10 on my blog a while back if anyone is interested.

https://onlinedarkroom.blogspot.com/...-context.html?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Brock, as I have said I could have had a bad batch, but the thing that really annoyed me was the lack of customer care, I am still waiting for that promised Email, if I had a reply then I would have been happier, especially when the person I originally spoke to said that there must be a problem with the developer, and he would look into the matter and let me know one way or another, that to me is unacceptable, When I had a problem with Foma films, soon after I started using them, I emailed the problem to them, got an answer within a few hours, and another with in
a couple of days, with the answer, which was something I was doing wrong, and they sent me 10 films as a goodwill gesture, I have in the past Emailed Ilford when I had a problem, not with their film's but with a chemical (Bromaphen) got an answer the same day, and 2 packets of Bromaphen in replacement, in fact Fotospeed is the Only firm that has not bothered to reply, that was my main gripe, must have been a problem with the FD10, but they did not seem to care

Richard
Old 24th September 2020, 01:36 PM
Friend

it says on the bottle use by 7/2021 . and on the paper developer PDS5 it say use by 9/2022 so I still have a bit of time to use it ..when I do start using them I will decant in to smaller bottles .
Old 25th September 2020, 05:45 PM
Friend

Paul,

From what I remember of it the developer produced good results. The only reason I didn't go further with it was I just couldn't bring myself to ditch HC110 or Rodinal. Each of which I can use at any dilution in my sleep :-)

Best of luck with your XRAY film experiments and do keep us posted.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies