Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Workshop News

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th November 2009, 08:44 PM
Friend

Many thanks Dave, Barry, Brianbird, Jon Butler, Numnutz and Hughes for your kind support at Silverprint today. I enjoyed the occasion very much indeed although I can't believe how nervous I was to start with. Which is not like me, must be meeting you FADUist for the first time

Again thank you for being there with your support
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers

Last edited by Trevor Crone; 28th November 2009 at 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 28th November 2009, 08:53 PM
Friend

Yes hear-hear, an enjoyable afternoon for me too.
Many thanks to Trevor, you really do love what do.
Harminders eloquent talk on evaluating your own and other peoples photographs I found very interesting and not million mile away from way of my thinking.
Thanks SILVERPRINT.
Regards JON.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 29th November 2009, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
...Thanks are also due to your co-presenter Harminder for teaching me never again to use the word “nice” to describe a print, thereby exhausting my praise vocabulary...
Harminder got me looking for alternatives to 'nice'. According to the OED...

nice

• adjective 1 pleasant; agreeable; satisfactory. 2 good-natured; kind. 3 (nice and &em;&em satisfactory in terms of the quality described. 4 fine or subtle: a nice distinction. 5 archaic fastidious.

— DERIVATIVES nicely adverb niceness noun.

— ORIGIN original senses included "stupid" and "coy, reserved": from Latin nescius ‘ignorant’.

and from Thesuras.com...

Main Entry: nice
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: likable, agreeable
Synonyms:
admirable, amiable, approved, attractive, becoming, charming, commendable, considerate, copacetic, cordial, courteous, decorous, delightful, ducky, fair, favorable, fine and dandy, friendly, genial, gentle, good, gracious, helpful, ingratiating, inviting, kind, kindly, lovely, nifty*, obliging, okay*, peachy*, pleasant, pleasurable, polite, prepossessing, seemly, simpatico, superior, swell, unpresumptuous, welcome, well-mannered, winning, winsome
Antonyms:
bad, disagreeable, horrible, nasty, repulsive, unlikable, unpleasant
* = informal/non-formal usage

Main Entry: nice
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: precise, neat, refined
Synonyms:
accurate, becoming, befitting, careful, choosy, conforming, correct, critical, cultured, dainty, decent, delicate, discerning, discriminating, distinguishing, exact, exacting, fastidious, fine, finespun, finical, finicking, finicky*, fussy*, genteel, hairsplitting, meticulous, minute, particular, persnickety*, picky*, proper, respectable, right, rigorous, scrupulous, seemly, squeamish, strict, subtle, tidy, trim, trivial*, virtuous, well-bred
Antonyms:
disordered, imprecise, unmannerly, unrefined

Haven't picked a favourite yet
Old 29th November 2009, 04:40 PM
Friend

May I suggest the word nice, and suggest you go the way you want to go if it's not going to hurt anyone? Just a thort........
Old 29th November 2009, 04:44 PM
Friend

It was great to meet you at last Trevor, & to meet Dave & Barry again, also Harmindor,
who I met at the book launch in Nottingham last Year. The talk by both of you was very interesting & thought provoking made me see my own images in a new light! Also thanks to all at silverprint.
Envied you the train back Dave & Barry, filthy dive back, also only managed 3 shots because of lousy weather, also got nice & wet for my trouble!
Old 1st December 2009, 11:30 AM
Friend

Thank you all for your kind replies.

I've also passed on your comments to Harminder who was delighted to have meet you. He also asked me to mention if anyone would like a copy of our book, Times Present he would be happy to offer it to FADU members at the discounted price of £20 + £4 p&p. He will also like to offer to anyone who purchases a copy a high quality inkjet print of one of my photographs of your choosing from the book. The book plus one of my images - that's got to be a steal
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 1st December 2009, 02:36 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Look at it another way Trevor. That's one of your images plus a free book.

Bill
Old 2nd December 2009, 08:44 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Look at it another way Trevor. That's one of your images plus a free book.

Bill
You are too kind Bill

I forgot to say if anyone is interested, please PM me as there isn't provision on the Timespresent website to offer this discount.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:19 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Just to let people know, I ordered a book from Trevor on Tuesday afternoon and it has just arrived, double wrapped for extra protection.

Excellent service and recommended.

Thanks Trevor,

Bill
Old 3rd December 2009, 01:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Just to let people know, I ordered a book from Trevor on Tuesday afternoon and it has just arrived, double wrapped for extra protection.

Excellent service and recommended.

Thanks Trevor,

Bill
Thank you Bill much appreciated.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies