Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th March 2010, 10:25 AM
Friend

Default Expanding choice?

I received a photographic magazine through the post today, the only one that I now subscribe to, and which must remain nameless to protect the guilty. Rather sadly I found the only pages that held my interest for more than a fleeting moment were those containing the Silverprint advert; which, I’m sure that you will agree, is probably a reflection of my conservative taste rather than the editorial choice presented in the rest of the tome.
That advert suggests to me that we do seem to have an immense choice of monochrome film, printing papers, processing chemicals and toners; in fact I would go so far as to state that the range available is greater now than it was five years ago, and does actually seem to be growing.

Do you agree?
Old 29th March 2010, 11:56 AM
Friend

i would agree, we do seem to have a very good choice of film,paper and chemicals available now, in fact we could almost be spoilt for choice if you look at both silverprint and ag Richard
Old 29th March 2010, 12:18 PM
Friend

Yes I would agree with that too. Excellent news I think.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 29th March 2010, 01:20 PM
Friend

My comparison has to be over a shorter time period, but my perception is that choice has increased rather than decreased. Hats off to the manufacturers for taking the plunge, but credit also to the likes of Silverprint and Ag Photographic* for making the stuff available in the UK.
(* - other sources of photographic materials also exist)

The only part of me that is not so grateful is my wallet which keeps taking a beating to fund my ongoing experimentation with new (to me) materials.
Old 29th March 2010, 04:40 PM
Friend

Agree. Film (B+W) choice is currently brilliant. Paper is great too. Two things though, a 50% price reduction would be great, and some of the odder papers like art classic would be welcome.
Old 29th March 2010, 05:17 PM
Friend

Whilst I think we still have a good choice of film, VC papers and chemistry. Probably the choice has never been better regarding VC papers, I think graded papers are sadly lacking.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 29th March 2010, 05:36 PM
Friend

Yes I also wish there was choice of graded papers.
I really miss Forte Museum g3 my all time favourite.
JON.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 29th March 2010, 06:15 PM
Friend

I have a very limited perspective on timescale( 2003 to-date) but I have to admit that delving back into history of even 15-20 years it is clear overall that new ground was broken and products brought to market. The delta range, XP2 plus, Kodak Tmax etc.

Even 6 years ago paper was about the same price as it is now so it is maybe cheaper in real terms now than it was then.

Partly echoing Richard's thoughts, I think the real problem price-wise had been that we went through a short golden era, say 2004 - 2007/early 2008 when prices dropped steadily with some new additional stuff appearing then suddenly that era ended and it appeared that prices were rocketing which was maybe a partial illusion due to the short lived price drop.

Mike
Old 29th March 2010, 08:38 PM
Friend

Do you detect an envious note in my voice? I was looking for some 4x5 film from the States. Postage was three times the cost of the film.
Old 29th March 2010, 09:23 PM
Friend

There certainly are some excellent new prodocts out there. In particular Rollei fils and Adox papers. The problem for me is that some new products seem to appear in a blaze of glory, only to disappear just as I'm getting to like them e.g. Kentmere Fineprint Warrmtone, Fotospeed Legacy, Fuji Neopan 400 in 120.......

Rob
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies