Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Pinhole

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th July 2012, 07:18 PM
Friend

I use a spot meter, convert the result on the back of the pinhole and add the reciprocity failure from a chart on this web site,
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:06 PM
Friend

Handheld Lunaix meter, ambient reading, never had a problem.

http://graemestarkphotography.blogspot.com/
Old 9th March 2013, 10:45 AM
Friend

I've never understood the hit or miss or suck it and see approach to photography. I dont get the motivation or indeed the point of going to the 'trouble' and expense of loading a camera with film, travelling, finding a shot, setting it all up then processing and printing the film while thinking that the basic principles of photo science have somehow been suspended and dont apply. Where does the creative energy come in if its just left to random chance? Exposure of film and the law of reciprocity should hardly be considered optional. Isnt it more artistically satisfying if the nature of the materials and the photographic process is understood first to put you in a position to then go on to work with creative power rather that hit or miss random chance? Isn't photography an art form after all?

Each to their own of course.
Old 9th March 2013, 12:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev curry View Post
I've never understood the hit or miss or suck it and see approach to photography. I dont get the motivation or indeed the point of going to the 'trouble' and expense of loading a camera with film, travelling, finding a shot, setting it all up then processing and printing the film while thinking that the basic principles of photo science have somehow been suspended and dont apply. Where does the creative energy come in if its just left to random chance? Exposure of film and the law of reciprocity should hardly be considered optional. Isnt it more artistically satisfying if the nature of the materials and the photographic process is understood first to put you in a position to then go on to work with creative power rather that hit or miss random chance? Isn't photography an art form after all?

Each to their own of course.
How hit or miss is it? I have had over the years some very seirous senior moments and have still ended up with good negatives that print well.

Can not some of that ramdom chance be part of the creative energy?

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 9th March 2013, 01:52 PM
Friend

I use mostly Foma100 in my 5x4 pinhole, it allows me to relax and avoid the hassle of dealing with exposure. That material has so bad recoprocity failure that anything at 0.5 sec = 1sec, at 1 sec = 10 sec, and at 10 sec = half an hour exposures. Ideal for a pinhole, and i you keep the above reciprocity on your mind, stick to the rule the longer exposure, the better, you do not have to measure anything, and will never end up with an underexposed negative.

Therefore, no hit & miss attitude, and still a creative freedom via focusing on the shot, not the laws of physics.
Old 9th March 2013, 04:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Stehlik View Post
I use mostly Foma100 in my 5x4 pinhole, it allows me to relax and avoid the hassle of dealing with exposure. That material has so bad recoprocity failure that anything at 0.5 sec = 1sec, at 1 sec = 10 sec, and at 10 sec = half an hour exposures. Ideal for a pinhole, and i you keep the above reciprocity on your mind, stick to the rule the longer exposure, the better, you do not have to measure anything, and will never end up with an underexposed negative.

Therefore, no hit & miss attitude, and still a creative freedom via focusing on the shot, not the laws of physics.
I think that is why I like pinhole it's all about the the picture in front of you and not the camera.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 11th March 2013, 12:51 PM
Friend

If I want consistent predictability from my photography I'd go out and buy a digital camera... each to their own of course. ;-)

Arena Photographers
Old 12th March 2013, 09:35 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
How hit or miss is it? I have had over the years some very seirous senior moments and have still ended up with good negatives that print well.

Can not some of that ramdom chance be part of the creative energy?
I'm just makng the point that its best to have an understanding of the materials. You can have all the creative enegy and vision in the world but if you dont understand the nature of the materials how can you create your vision? Thats really all I'm trying to say. If a negative needs a 40 minute exposure due to the law of reciprocity to record the information that you what and you give it a 5 minute exposure you wont have the image that you want.

Random chance is great. Ive been lucky once or twice but I wouldnt promote it over understanding the materials.

If you expose and develop the perfect negative by random chance it only means that you accidently landed on the laws that govern photography.

Last edited by kev curry; 12th March 2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 29th January 2014, 08:34 PM
Friend

Its never random chance.

Random chance is a picture timed to produce something between completely black and completely white.
Since there is infinite opportunity to produce black or white, the "corridor" of exposure that qualifies as a successful exposure to the shooter, is really quite small comparatively, thus there will always be educated guesswork involved, not random chance imo.
Your definition of successful, educated and the width of your corridor in this context, is subjective..
Old 30th January 2014, 09:28 PM
Friend

This is an expensive approach, but my Sekonic L758D spot meter can meter down to f/152. The next up is f/128, which is close to the alleged f/133 size of the pinhole in my Holga WPC120 pinhole - but I guess that Holgas' have some variability from the claimed pinhole aperture.

I've taken to using Acros to reduce reciprocity issues. I still find however that the "keeper rate" is much lower for my pinholes, than when using a lens
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies