Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > External Group Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th June 2012, 10:33 PM
Friend

Default Steam locomotives working on Network Rail.

Anyone interested or just looking for something different to photograph? If you are, there is a good chance there is a good chance to see a locomotive in action near you and soon.

The website will get to on to a site which will tell you the what, when and where of the 'special movements'. The site is kept updated fairly often, but it is best to check 24 hours before an event. The site covers UK mainland and can be navigated to find routes and passing time at various locations on route. It is also possible to get times of lone locomotives working on their own to get to a special train starting point or to an exhibition.

Have fun.

Anyone in difficulty, I will do my best to answer, but not with computer problems.

I am having difficulty in getting the web address for the site link included.
If all else fails the site address is: www.uksteam.info

Last edited by AlanJones; 12th June 2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12th June 2012, 10:53 PM
Friend

Thanks Alan. I find steam trains are very photogenic. I'll have a look to see if anything is happening close to me.

Mike
Old 13th June 2012, 04:40 AM
Friend

Thanks for posting this Alan it looks interesting.
Richard
Old 13th June 2012, 08:25 AM
Friend

That reminds me, we're approaching the Fellsman season, thanks

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 13th June 2012, 12:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
That reminds me, we're approaching the Fellsman season, thanks
That seemed a nice idea for a treat for my wife and I until I saw the prices!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 1st July 2012, 02:12 AM
Friend

Default Heritage rail photography.

Keith,
I do very much agree with you on the ticket prices. It is a lot of money to blow on a day out. But by looking into it more deeply, it is a bargain really for what was involved.

Strange as it might seem, organizers of these trips are looking for people like you and your wife to fill these trains. Most train enthusiasts still around are now mainly pensioners and for cost or health reasons don't go on these trips. Other than for people with young children it has limited appeal.

What has to be taken into consideration is the high track occupancy charges charged by Network Rail from where the train is kept, then to it's starting point for the trip, the trip itself and then back home again after. Then, the hire charges for the carriages, staff costs, a contribution to the maintenance of the engines and a significant donation for tree seedlings to be planted. This blackmail keeps the 'tree and bunny huggers' from protesting and ruining everybody's day. Two previous owners of the 'Flying Scotsman' have ended up being made bankrupt as their sums did not add up. It is now owned by Richard Branson who has placed it in the care of the National Rail Museum.

Line side photography is still free and is what we are interested in here. Avoid destination stations when these trips are run as probably you won't be able to get a good shot due to crowds. I will now try to attach one of mine taken of the crowds at York station before Christmas. If it does not appear, please contact me on how to attach a jpeg image.

Last edited by AlanJones; 1st July 2012 at 02:16 AM.
Old 1st July 2012, 07:23 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanJones View Post
If it does not appear, please contact me on how to attach a jpeg image.
Not like that!

Steve.
Old 1st July 2012, 10:31 AM
Friend

Whilst on holiday near Fort William recently we took enjoyed a day riding on the Jacobite to Mallaig and back. Expensive but we thought it £120 well spent on a couple of first class seats on an otherwise crowded train. The next day we returned to a couple of vantage points that we had spotted and the attached shot was one of the results.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The-Road-to-the-Isles.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1433  
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:13 PM
Friend

Did anyone see that recent BBC documentary about the end of the railway steam age? It gave the impression that most railway workers were glad to see the back of steam (polluting, messy, inefficient etc) but you never know the truth of these things from a TV show.

Last edited by Dave miller; 2nd July 2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Split subject to new thread.
Old 2nd July 2012, 01:22 PM
Friend

Les you could be right I know that people that lived near the railway lines did not like them, when the the clean washing was hung up on the line to dry, and the steam train came by you could hear exactly what they thought of them
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies