Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th January 2013, 05:55 AM
Friend

Default Quater plate camera

Hi All,

I was considering building myself a 5x4, but having looked into it think the total cost is well outside my budget, have come across an interesting 1/4 plate camera for less than the cost of the wood for my DIY project.

Quarter plate camera 3 1/4 x 4 1/4, (8.25cm x 10.8cm ) can you still get film for these ? or is it just a case of cutting down 5 x 4 ? Can you actually do that ?

It is being sold with no glass screen, presumably would need one, so as to be able to focus the image Anybody happen to know how easy or otherwise it will be to get a new glass screen ?

Everything else is said to be OK. and includes 2 x dark-slides.

Would value peoples opinions on this, is it worthwhile to try to bring an old camera back to life ?

Ian
Old 27th January 2013, 08:21 AM
Friend

You can buy film that size but it's probably easier to cut down 5x4.

The glass is easy to do yourself: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum216/...us-screen.html

Steve.
Old 27th January 2013, 09:18 AM
Friend

I have 3 or 4 quarter plate cameras, a Houghton Victo and then some SLR's that I'm restoring, none expensive.

Quarter plate film was available from Adox/EFKE until recently, Wephoto also stock it. You can also get Ilford quarter plate film but it's part of the Annual ULF run so expensive.

Be aware that you need film inserts for the plate holder, these are hard to find but I was lucky and bought 16 brand new (boxed) off ebay earlier this month.

I made a rollfilm-back adapter so that I can use my Grafle RH10 6x7 backs with the Victo but since then acquired two pre-WWII Rollex 6x9 backs which need some restoration but one can be converted to fit either my Quarter plate TP Ruby or Dallmeyer (Ensign) SLRs.

There's no standard for pre-WWII plate holders and the same manufacturer may use quite different types accross their models.

If you don't want to make your own screen get in touch, I have a large stock of screens now.

Ian
Old 27th January 2013, 10:30 AM
Friend

Thanks for the replies, did not know about the need for film inserts, will have to make some enquiries. The link for the screen was great does not seem so difficult, food for thought.

Ian
Old 27th January 2013, 12:06 PM
Friend

My mum has a half plate camera hidden away that she used way back in her yoof. The book form holders have an insert to use quarter plates, and she told stories of using sheet film too. The film would be inserted in to the holders and then backed up with a scrap of formica cut to size - If it was doable then, it should be possible to do it sixty years on.

Another alternative, if you have the materials and tools, is to make a new back to take modern 5x4 holders.

P.S. If you want some ortho film to try cutting down and using in a quarter plate, drop me a PM and I'll raid the freezer.
Old 27th January 2013, 01:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
Another alternative, if you have the materials and tools, is to make a new back to take modern 5x4 holders.
I made an adaptor for one of my half plate cameras to hold modern 5x4 DDS, it slips in like a book form plate holder.

The next project is to make a new 5x4 Graflok back using a spare Pacemaker focus panel to use with a second half plate camera.

Ian
Old 27th January 2013, 06:55 PM
Friend

If I can find the right weight for you, would you be able to build a Quatermass camera

Sorry couldn't resist

Mike
Old 27th January 2013, 08:17 PM
Friend

I suppose if I was really proficient and made a good job it would be a quartermaster camera ! apologies for the really bad pun.

Getting back to reality for just one minute, instead of a quarter plate, what about a 9x12 ? any thoughts ? I see that you can still get film for these ? The 9 x 12 neg is a little bit larger than 1/4 plate ( but not much ) is one better than another or is just "horses for courses"?

It's just that I've come across a working Zeis 9 x 12 complete with glass screen and two film slides ( a bit of TLC is all that's required ) for even less money. Just under £40 inc delivery. Is it worth considering ?

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9x12.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	1684  
Old 27th January 2013, 08:35 PM
Friend

Well film is easy to get even colour, again you need inserts for the plate holders unless you're lucky and it has dual use ones which are quite rare.

There are bettr 9x12 cameras for that sort of price, that's a budget lens in a Vario shutter.

These 9x12 cameras are quite practical to use, plate holders are cheap & easy to find, but you need to check the edges, even Zeiss used 3 or 4 different edge types depending which firm had made them prior to the merger of Contessa, Ica, Goerz etc with Zeiss.

Ian
Old 27th January 2013, 10:11 PM
Friend

Hi Ian, thanks for that, think there is a lot to learn about these cameras, I think I will need to do a lot of looking in an effort to spend my money wisely.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies